Determing angular velocity after a collision

In summary: The angular momentum is always conserved, so the difference in angular momentum between the particle and sphere should be the same as the difference in linear momentum (the difference in velocity).
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose we are in deep space and there's a particle of mass [tex]m[/tex] and a sphere of radius [tex]R[/tex] of mass [tex]M[/tex]. Suppose also that the sphere is initially at rest while the particle is moving with a constant velocity [tex]v_0[/tex]. The particle collide with the sphere in a position such that the point of collision on the sphere is situated at R/8 over the center of mass of the sphere. But there's a constraint : the sphere can only move in the direction of the coming particle before the impact. (For this, you can imagine an object making a resistance on the sphere if it tries to move in a direction which differs from the coming particle).
The particle leaves the sphere forming an angle of [tex]60[/tex]° with the sphere' surface.
Find the angular velocity of the sphere.
2. The attempt at a solution
I could easily find the velocity of the center of mass' sphere. I know that the linear momentum is conserved (in the direction of the particle before the impact), that the energy is likely not to be conserved and that the angular momentum is probably not conserved despite the fact that the collision is almost instantaneous. It's due to the fact that the sphere cannot move freely so that the object making a constraint suffers a great force in a small amount of time.
Hence I don't know how I can proceed. I don't want a clear solution but rather a tip about how I can start.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not entirely sure of the constraint part, but angular momentum is always conserved the same as linear momentum. So my hint to you is to find the angular momentum of the particle initial and final and the difference is what the large ball should have, however THEN apply the constraints as you see fit. So certain aspects may be lost due to a loss of motion but the momentum was still transferred (or is not the equivalent of an angular impact occurred.)

Mthees08 said:
I am not entirely sure of the constraint part, but angular momentum is always conserved the same as linear momentum. So my hint to you is to find the angular momentum of the particle initial and final and the difference is what the large ball should have, however THEN apply the constraints as you see fit. So certain aspects may be lost due to a loss of motion but the momentum was still transferred (or is not the equivalent of an angular impact occurred.)

Thank you. Yeah you're right, I realized it some hours after having posted.

1. How do you calculate angular velocity after a collision?

To calculate angular velocity after a collision, you need to know the moment of inertia of the object before and after the collision, as well as the angular momentum. The formula for angular velocity is angular velocity = angular momentum / moment of inertia.

2. What factors affect the angular velocity after a collision?

The angular velocity after a collision is affected by the moment of inertia of the object, the angular momentum, and the direction and magnitude of the collision force. Other factors such as friction and external forces can also have an impact on the angular velocity.

3. Does the type of collision affect the resulting angular velocity?

Yes, the type of collision can affect the resulting angular velocity. In an elastic collision, where kinetic energy is conserved, the resulting angular velocity will be different than in an inelastic collision, where kinetic energy is lost. The angle and direction of the collision can also play a role in determining the resulting angular velocity.

4. Can angular velocity be negative after a collision?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative after a collision. This means that the object is rotating in the opposite direction compared to before the collision. In some cases, a negative angular velocity may indicate that the object has come to a complete stop and is now rotating in the opposite direction.

5. How does conservation of angular momentum apply to collisions?

Conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In collisions, the initial angular momentum of the objects involved will equal the final angular momentum after the collision, as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This principle can be used to calculate the angular velocity after a collision.