How do I solve for the centroid of a function with a given range?

In summary, I solved the center of gravity problem by finding the bar{x} and bar{y} coordinates of the centroid, and calculating the area bounded by the function and the x-axis.
Guillem_dlc
Summary:: I'm solving an exercise.

I have the following center of gravity problem:

Having the function Y(x)=96,4*x(100-x) cm, where X is the horizontal axis and Y is the vertical axis, ranged between the interval (0, 93,7) cm. Determine:
a) Area bounded by this function, axis X and the line X=93,7 (in cm2)
b) The bar{x} coordinate of its centroid (in cm)
c) The bar{y} coordinate of its centroid (in cm)
8BDE096C-6720-494B-A873-4C2146EC05C5.jpeg

My attempt at resolution:

7AE6BF30-7086-4851-ADC1-1F6E4D77391B.jpeg

How can I calculate the last section if I can't clear the x?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Guillem_dlc said:
How can I calculate the last section if I can't clear the x?
You are given y as a function of x, ##y = 96.4x(100 - x)##. Solve this equation for x in terms of y.
IOW, you have y = f(x), Solving for x gives you ##x = f^{-1}(y)##.

Mark44 said:
You are given y as a function of x, ##y = 96.4x(100 - x)##. Solve this equation for x in terms of y.
IOW, you have y = f(x), Solving for x gives you ##x = f^{-1}(y)##.
Okay perfect thank you!

You can do it with the inverse that can sometimes be unwieldy if the function is complicated. You can also find ##\bar{y}## by integrating wrt ##x##. Consider a vertical strip of width ##\delta x## and height ##f(x)##, then the incremental change in the first moment of area in the ##y## direction is

##\delta S_y = \frac{1}{2} {f(x)}^2 \delta x##

and then you can just integrate up over your limits and divide by the total area.

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
You can do it with the inverse but as an additional point that might sometimes be a little unwieldy if the function is complicated. You can also find ##\bar{y}## by integrating wrt ##x##. Consider a vertical strip of width ##\delta x## and height ##f(x)##, then the incremental change in the first moment of area in the ##y## direction is

##\delta S_y = \frac{1}{2} {f(x)}^2 \delta x##

and then you can just integrate up over your limits and divide by the total area.
Yes, I applied this second method in the end, i.e. integrating with respect to ##x## and considering that ##y## was in the middle of the differential.

1. What is a centroid?

A centroid is the center of mass or geometric center of a shape. It is the point at which the shape would balance if it were placed on a needle.

2. How is a centroid calculated?

A centroid is calculated by finding the average of all the points in a shape. This is done by adding up the x-coordinates and dividing by the number of points, and then adding up the y-coordinates and dividing by the number of points. The resulting coordinates represent the centroid.

3. What is the importance of determining a centroid?

Determining a centroid is important in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It helps in understanding the properties and behavior of shapes, and is used in calculations for areas, moments of inertia, and stability of structures.

4. Can a shape have multiple centroids?

No, a shape can only have one centroid. This is because the centroid is a unique point that represents the balance and symmetry of a shape.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its centroid?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its centroid. For example, a symmetrical shape will have its centroid at the center, while an irregular shape will have its centroid closer to the heavier side. Additionally, the centroid of a hollow shape will be closer to the outer edges compared to a solid shape with the same dimensions.