1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Compression of a Spring involving Spring Constants

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 10g marble is launched horizontally from a spring of K = 20 N/m. If the marble ended up with a launch speed of 40m/sec, how much (in cm) was the spring compressed by?

2. Relevant equations

[itex]F=kx[/itex]
    [itex]E=\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    To find how much the spring was compressed by, I know that you must solve for x in either equation. But I am unsure what values F or E would be. F =ma, but no acceleration, displacement, or time interval is given. ΔE= FΔd, but still force is required.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The elastic potential energy of the spring when compressed to a distance 'x' will be converted into kinetic energy.

Do you know how to find the kinetic energy of an object given its mass and velocity?

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/itex]

[itex](0.01)(0.4)^2 = 20x^2[/itex]

[itex]0.0089 m = x[/itex]

[itex]8.9 cm = x[/itex]

I wrote that the initial velocity was 40m/s, should have been 40cm/s. Would this solution be correct though?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook