Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining force required to rip or tear sheetmetal

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    Hi All.
    I am working on a problem at work that is basically sheetmetal tearing due to a force being applied.

We have a sheetmetal door which we added a gas cylinder to help lift, the problem is the sheetmetal is tearing at the mounting location of the gas cylinder.
    I know that the stress is causing the failure and that increasing the thickness of the mounting location will solve the problem but i want to wrap some formulas around it to make sure I am going big enough.

Any help or guidance on what formulas to apply here?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2
    I do the basic calculation of Fmax using stress = F/A
    Assuming Yield stress = 100ksi, the sheet metal being 1/6" thick and the flange being 2" tall
    100ksi=F/(2*.0625) -> F=100ksi*.125 -> Fmax =12500lb

This seems way wrong considering the gas shock only applies a few pounds of force. Am I calculating it wrong? If not how do I apply it to the fatigue failure?

Thanks

4. Jan 23, 2015 #3
    How is the gas shock attached to the panel? Weld, screws, or what? This will make a lot of difference.

The calculation you showed almost certainly included too much area supporting the load.

5. Jan 24, 2015 #4
    It's bolted to the plate with 4 10-32 screws.
    I assume it is almost line to line contact and has a huge stress riser. Just not sure how to calculate.

6. Jan 24, 2015 #5

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Then is it not true that the critical issue is the pull-out strength of the 4 screws? It would seem that you might estimate the load required to rip out one screw, and then figure that the four screw combination will support no more than 4 times the individual screw load.

7. Jan 24, 2015 #6
    I would say no because the sheet metal is tearing at the bottom of the bracket.

8. Jan 24, 2015 #7
    You still have not shown us a picture, so it is impossible to make any meaningful comments on this matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook