Determining force required to rip or tear sheetmetal

• Thread starter Spoolx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Rip
In summary, the problem is caused by a force being applied to the sheetmetal, and increasing the thickness of the bracket will solve the problem.
Spoolx
Hi All.
I am working on a problem at work that is basically sheetmetal tearing due to a force being applied.

We have a sheetmetal door which we added a gas cylinder to help lift, the problem is the sheetmetal is tearing at the mounting location of the gas cylinder.
I know that the stress is causing the failure and that increasing the thickness of the mounting location will solve the problem but i want to wrap some formulas around it to make sure I am going big enough.

Any help or guidance on what formulas to apply here?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I do the basic calculation of Fmax using stress = F/A
Assuming Yield stress = 100ksi, the sheet metal being 1/6" thick and the flange being 2" tall
100ksi=F/(2*.0625) -> F=100ksi*.125 -> Fmax =12500lb

This seems way wrong considering the gas shock only applies a few pounds of force. Am I calculating it wrong? If not how do I apply it to the fatigue failure?

Thanks

How is the gas shock attached to the panel? Weld, screws, or what? This will make a lot of difference.

The calculation you showed almost certainly included too much area supporting the load.

It's bolted to the plate with 4 10-32 screws.
I assume it is almost line to line contact and has a huge stress riser. Just not sure how to calculate.

Then is it not true that the critical issue is the pull-out strength of the 4 screws? It would seem that you might estimate the load required to rip out one screw, and then figure that the four screw combination will support no more than 4 times the individual screw load.

I would say no because the sheet metal is tearing at the bottom of the bracket.

You still have not shown us a picture, so it is impossible to make any meaningful comments on this matter.

1. What is the definition of sheetmetal?

Sheetmetal is a type of metal formed by industrial processes into thin, flat pieces. It is commonly used in the construction of vehicles, machinery, and building materials.

2. How is the force required to rip or tear sheetmetal determined?

The force required to rip or tear sheetmetal is determined by conducting a tension test, where a piece of sheetmetal is pulled until it breaks. The maximum force applied to the sheetmetal at the point of failure is then recorded as the force required to rip or tear it.

3. What factors affect the force required to rip or tear sheetmetal?

The force required to rip or tear sheetmetal can be affected by several factors, including the type of metal, thickness of the sheet, and the presence of any pre-existing defects or damage. The shape and size of the sheet can also impact the force required.

4. How does the force required to rip or tear sheetmetal vary with different types of metals?

The force required to rip or tear sheetmetal can vary greatly depending on the type of metal used. For example, soft metals such as aluminum or copper may require less force to tear compared to harder metals like steel. Additionally, the strength and ductility of the metal can also impact the force required.

5. Can the force required to rip or tear sheetmetal be calculated?

Yes, the force required to rip or tear sheetmetal can be calculated using mathematical equations based on the material properties and dimensions of the sheet. However, these calculations may not always reflect real-world conditions and it is important to conduct physical tests for accurate results.