Determining power across a certain device.

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of instantaneous power at t=0 and t=0.25s using the equations v(t)= 5cos(4∏t)V and i(t) = 0.1cos(4∏t)A. The attempted solution found p=0.5W for both t=0 and t=0.25s, but the textbook states that at t=0, the power should be 0. It is suggested that there may be a mistake in the textbook's answer or in the given equations.
november1992

Homework Statement

The voltage across and current through a device are given by:

v(t)= 5cos(4∏t)V
i(t) = 0.1cos(4∏t)A

determine the instantaneous power p(t) at t=0 and t = 0.25s

Homework Equations

p=vi

The Attempt at a Solution

for t=0 I got p=0.5W

for t=0.25 I got p = 0.5W

the textbook says at t=0 it should be 0. Does power always equal 0 at t=0 or did i mess up on my calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that both v and i were specified as cosines, and that neither included a phase angle?

I copied it exactly the way it's written in the textbook.

november1992 said:
I copied it exactly the way it's written in the textbook.

Well, very strange then; the textbook's answer for t=0 appears to be incorrect.

Your calculation for both t=0 and t=0.25s are correct. The textbook may be referring to the average power over a certain time period, which would be 0 at t=0 since the device has not yet started functioning. However, when looking at the instantaneous power at a specific moment in time, it can have a non-zero value. It is important to distinguish between average power and instantaneous power when analyzing a device.

1. How do you determine the power across a certain device?

To determine the power across a device, you need to know the current flowing through the device and the voltage drop across it. You can use Ohm's Law (P=VI), where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps, to calculate the power.

2. What instruments are needed to measure power across a device?

To measure power across a device, you will need a voltmeter to measure the voltage drop and an ammeter to measure the current flowing through the device. These instruments can be digital or analog, and they should have appropriate ranges for the expected values of voltage and current.

3. Is it necessary to measure both AC and DC power across a device?

Yes, it is necessary to measure both AC and DC power across a device because the power calculation formula (P=VI) applies to both types of current. However, the way you measure AC power may differ from measuring DC power, so make sure to use the appropriate instruments and techniques.

4. Can the power across a device change over time?

Yes, the power across a device can change over time. This can happen due to various factors such as changes in the input voltage or current, changes in the device itself, or changes in the surrounding environment. It is important to monitor the power across a device over time to ensure its proper functioning.

5. How can the power across a device be optimized?

The power across a device can be optimized by minimizing the voltage drop and maximizing the current flowing through it. This can be achieved by using high-quality components, proper circuit design, and efficient operation of the device. It is also important to consider the power requirements and limitations of the device when optimizing its power usage.