Determining the angular speed of the object? I must have done something terribly wron

In summary: That's one, but be more specific. What's the other?rotational?rotational?In summary, we need to use conservation of energy to determine the angular speed of the spool in the figure, after the 3.00 kg bucket falls 4.40 m, starting from rest. The light string attached to the bucket is wrapped around the spool and does not slip as it unwinds. We can approach this problem by identifying the source of energy for the system, which is the bucket and the water in it providing potential energy. We can then use the conservation of energy equation to determine the kinetic energy that will be made available to the system, considering both translational and rotational kinetic energy. The final step
riseofphoenix
Use conservation of energy to determine the angular speed of the spool shown in the figure below after the 3.00 kg bucket has fallen 4.40 m, starting from rest. The light string attached to the bucket is wrapped around the spool and does not slip as it unwinds.

8-p-052.gif

I initially thought this would be a simple plug and chug problem but it turns out I was wrong...

This is where I kind of got stuck and so I kind of freestyled... -.-

initial = Iωfinal
(3)(0.6002)ω = (3)(4.402
1.8ω = 58.08ω

-.-
Help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Wait...aren't I supposed to do something like...

PEinitial + KEinitial = PEfinal + KEfinal

riseofphoenix said:
Wait...aren't I supposed to do something like...

PEinitial + KEinitial = PEfinal + KEfinal

Yup, that's the approach to take.

Start by identifying the source of energy for the system. How much energy is made available from that source? Where does it end up?

gneill said:
Yup, that's the approach to take.

Start by identifying the source of energy for the system. How much energy is made available from that source? Where does it end up?

The spool is the source of energy for the system?

It would be the Inertia equation no? Since it's rotating according to the image..

I = mr2

riseofphoenix said:
The spool is the source of energy for the system?

It would be the Inertia equation no? Since it's rotating according to the image..

I = mr2

A spool will spontaneously generate energy? I think you've solved the free energy problem! :smile:

No, the energy must come from some potential energy source. What's the source of potential energy that drives this system?

gneill said:
A spool will spontaneously generate energy? I think you've solved the free energy problem! :smile:

No, the energy must come from some potential energy source. What's the source of potential energy that drives this system?

The bucket?

riseofphoenix said:
The bucket?

What about the bucket will make energy available?

gneill said:
What about the bucket will make energy available?

The mass of the bucket and the water that's in it will pull the rope down which will make the spool turn.

riseofphoenix said:
The mass of the bucket and the water that's in it will pull the rope down which will make the spool turn.

Okay, so what form of potential energy is being exploited here? How much will be made available to the system, being converted to kinetic energy?

gneill said:
Okay, so what form of potential energy is being exploited here? How much will be made available to the system, being converted to kinetic energy?

I have no idea :(
My teacher gave us 45 practice problems to do for the test and this one is only #14...

I tried doing...

mghfinal + (1/2)mv2final = mghfinal + (1/2)mv2final

(3)(9.8)(0) + (1/2)(3)(0)2 = (3)(-9.8)(4.40) + (1/2)(3)vf2

0 = -129.36 + 1.5v2
129.36/1.5 = v2
86.24 = v2
9.28 = v

"INCORRECT"

There is one source of potential energy available here. Your "mgh" terms describe it. What form of potential energy is associated with "mgh"? What's the magnitude of the energy made available?

There are two forms of kinetic energy associated with the system when its in motion, what are they?

gneill said:
There is one source of potential energy available here. Your "mgh" terms describe it. What form of potential energy is associated with "mgh"? What's the magnitude of the energy made available?

There are two forms of kinetic energy associated with the system when its in motion, what are they?

translational?

riseofphoenix said:
translational?

That's one, but be more specific. What's the other?

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

2. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the angle traveled by the time it takes to travel that angle. This can be represented by the formula: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular speed, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between angular speed and linear speed?

Angular speed measures the rate of change of the angle, while linear speed measures the rate of change of the distance traveled. Angular speed is dependent on the distance from the center of rotation, while linear speed is not.

4. What factors can affect the angular speed of an object?

The angular speed of an object can be affected by the radius of rotation, the mass of the object, and the force applied to the object. Changes in these factors can cause the angular speed to increase or decrease.

5. Can angular speed be negative?

Yes, angular speed can be negative. This means that the object is rotating in the opposite direction, or counterclockwise, as compared to the direction of positive angular speed, which is clockwise.