1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the static and kinetic coefficients on an incline of wood on wood!

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This was a lab task in which we are asked: Determine the static and dynamic coefficients of friction for a block of wood of mass 82.2grams on a plank of wood.

PART A:
    To determine the static coefficient we found the angle at which point the block just started to move. This was 45.4 degrees.

For Part A, I used the equation fr = tan 45.5 degrees which gave me an answer of 1. I am not sure if this is to be expected static coefficient of a polished block of wood on a plank of wood as anything else I have read has always had a lower coefficient.

PART B:
    To determine the kinetic coefficient we increased the angle to 50 degrees and timed how long the block took to cover the plank, a distance of 1 meter, when released from the top. The average time was found to be 0.69s. This is where I get stuck! I do not know how to calculate the kinetic coefficient and after much research on the net I am still as stuck as I first was... The block is accelerating but I don't know how to determine the acceleration or whether that is even necessary. Furthermore, can I just state the velocity is 0.69ms-1?
    Can someone please just suggest a starting point...
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try the kinematic equations, they're the ones that relate time, distance, velocity and acceleration when the acceleration is constant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?