Deviation of Real Gases under Low Temp & High Pressure

In summary, the conversation revolved around the deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure. The reference book mentioned that carbon dioxide has a higher deviation compared to nitrogen and hydrogen due to its higher boiling point. The ease of liquefaction is related to the critical temperature and pressure of a gas, and when approaching these values, the Ideal Gas Law is no longer accurate. The Redlich-Kwong equation of state should be used instead. The conversation ended with the speaker thanking the other person for their helpful information.
siewwen168
hello :-p

i want to ask about the deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure. :-p

my reference book states that carbon dioxide deviates more than nitrogen and hydrogen,this is because the order of boiling points of is decreasing from carbon dioxide to hydrogen.this is because carbon dioxide liquefies at a much higher temperature than nitrogen and hydrogen. :redface:

can anyone tell me what is the relationship between the ease of liquefaction and the deviation? o:)

anyway ,what is the meaning of liquefaction?is it something to do with it's boiling point?? :confused:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"Liquifaction" (I think that's the correct spelling) just means turning something into a liquid. The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the space occupied by, and the forces between, the atoms/molecules of a gas can be ignored. It's a valid approach for low pressure and high temperature. But how does one define what is "low" and "high" for a particular gas? It has to do with how close the temp/pressure are to the "critical" values. The critical temperature (Tc) of a gas is that at which the gas cannot be liquified. For CO2 that's around 85 deg.F. The critical pressure (Pc) is the pressure at Tc. For CO2 it's around 850 lb/in^2. When one gets near Tc or Pc, the Ideal Gas Law is no longer accurate, and another equation of state, such as the Redlich- Kwong must be used. Hope this helped...

hi pack rat2,thanks for your help,i think your information is very useful to me.thanks alot.

What is deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure?

Deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure refers to the phenomenon where the behavior of a gas deviates from the ideal gas law at extreme conditions of low temperature and high pressure. This deviation is caused by the intermolecular forces between gas particles and the finite volume of gas molecules.

What are the factors that contribute to deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure?

The factors that contribute to deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure include intermolecular forces, molecular size, and molecular shape. These factors affect the volume and attractive forces between gas molecules, causing them to deviate from the behavior predicted by the ideal gas law.

How does deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure affect gas behavior?

Deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure can cause gases to behave differently than predicted by the ideal gas law. This can result in changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas. For example, at low temperatures and high pressures, gases may condense into liquids or even solids due to the increased intermolecular forces.

What is the significance of studying deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure?

Studying deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure is important in understanding the behavior of gases in extreme conditions, such as in industrial processes or in outer space. It also helps to improve our understanding of intermolecular forces and their effects on gas behavior.

How can we account for deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure in calculations?

There are various equations and models, such as the van der Waals equation and the Redlich-Kwong equation, that can account for deviation of real gases under low temperature and high pressure in calculations. These equations include correction factors to adjust for the effects of intermolecular forces and molecular size on gas behavior.