Understanding Diagonalization of Lagrangian: Graduate Mechanics Text Explanation

• Thread starter shehry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary: This is what is meant by diagonalizing the Lagrangian. In summary, the Modal Matrix Diagonalizes the Lagrangian for small oscillations, which means that it can be simplified into a diagonal matrix form when written in terms of a specific set of coordinates called the normal coordinates. This is a modern way of representing quadratic forms.
shehry1
My Graduate Mechanics text (Walecka and Fetter) says in the chapter on Small Oscillations, that the Modal Matrix Diagonalizes the Lagrangian

[tex] L = \sum_{\sigma=1}^\infty (\dot{\zeta_\sigma}^2 - \omega_\sigma \zeta_\sigma^2) [/tex]

where [tex]\zeta[/tex] are the normal coordinates related to the original coordinates [tex]\eta[/tex] via the modal matrix.

But as far as I understand, the Lagrangian is simply a number, not a matrix. So what does the diagonalization of the Lagrangian mean.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lagrangian is not a number, it's a function. In the case of small oscillations, it happens to be a quadratic form, and it can be written as

[tex] L = Q^{T}AQ [/tex],

Where [tex] Q = (q_1, q_2, ..., q_s, \dot{q}_1, \dot{q}_2, ..., \dot{q}_s) [/tex]. When the [tex] q_i [/tex] are normal coordinates, [tex] A [/tex] becomes a diagonal matrix.

dx said:
The Lagrangian is not a number, it's a function. In the case of small oscillations, it happens to be a quadratic form, and it can be written as

[tex] L = Q^{T}AQ [/tex],

Where [tex] Q = (q_1, q_2, ..., q_s, \dot{q}_1, \dot{q}_2, ..., \dot{q}_s) [/tex]. When the [tex] q_i [/tex] are normal coordinates, [tex] A [/tex] becomes a diagonal matrix.

Sorry for saying that its a number but I still didn't get it. And I think I basically want to know how can Lagrangian the function be transformed into Lagrangian the matrix. e.g. we have [tex] 2L = \dot{\eta}^T m \dot{\eta} - \eta^T v \eta [/tex]. But the [tex] \eta [/tex] are essentially column vectors, giving me a function in the form of a 1x1 matrix after multiplication. So what does it mean to write the Lagrangian in the form of a matrix

Well, its not exactly a matrix. But matrices are not the only things that can be diagonalized. Quadratic forms for example can be diagonalized. If you have some random set of generalized coordinates and velocities [tex] X = (x_i, \dot{x}_i) [/tex], then the Lagrangian for small oscillations is of the form

[tex] L = \frac{1}{2}\sum (m_{ik} \dot{x_i} \dot{x_k} - k_{ik} {x_i} {x_k}) [/tex].

This can be written in matrix notation as [tex] L = X^{T}AX [/tex], where A is in general not diagonal. This is the modern way of representing quadratic forms. It turns out that there is a specific set of coordinates [tex] Q_i [/tex] in terms of which the Lagrangian simplifies into the form

[tex] L = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{\alpha} (\dot{Q_{\alpha}^2} - {\omega_{\alpha}^2} {Q_{\alpha}^2}) [/tex].

When you write this in the form [tex] Q^{T}AQ [/tex], A will be a diagonal matrix.

Last edited:

1. What is diagonalization of Lagrangian?

Diagonalization of Lagrangian is a mathematical technique used in classical mechanics to simplify the equations of motion for a system. It involves transforming the Lagrangian, which describes the dynamics of a system in terms of generalized coordinates and their time derivatives, into a new form where the equations of motion can be easily solved.

2. Why is diagonalization of Lagrangian important?

Diagonalization of Lagrangian is important because it allows us to solve complex systems of equations in a simpler, more efficient way. This is especially useful in graduate level mechanics, where the systems being studied can be highly complex and difficult to solve using traditional methods.

3. How is diagonalization of Lagrangian done?

Diagonalization of Lagrangian involves finding a set of new coordinates, known as normal coordinates, which are related to the original coordinates by a linear transformation. This transformation is chosen such that the equations of motion in the new coordinates are uncoupled, meaning they can be solved independently.

4. What are the benefits of using diagonalization of Lagrangian?

The main benefit of using diagonalization of Lagrangian is that it simplifies the equations of motion and allows us to solve them more easily. This can save time and effort when studying complex systems, and can also provide insights into the behavior of the system that may not be apparent in the original form of the equations.

5. Are there any limitations to diagonalization of Lagrangian?

While diagonalization of Lagrangian can be a powerful tool, it is not always applicable to every system. For example, if the system has constraints or non-linearities, diagonalization may not be possible. In addition, the transformation required to diagonalize the Lagrangian can sometimes be complicated and difficult to find, making it less practical for certain systems.