How Can I Model Dice Behavior to Predict When Half Are Removed?

In summary, The conversation is about developing a model to describe the behavior of 216 dice being rolled and the sixes being taken out after each roll. The goal is to find an equation or function to predict the roll where there are exactly half of the original number of dice left (108). The probability of getting a six is 1/6, and the rolls are considered to be independent. One suggestion is to use a geometric sequence with a multiplication factor of 5/6 for each roll.
Link
Ok i got this assignment to develop a model for describing dice behaviour. I have no studied probability before, so i don't even know where to start.

There are 216 dices. They are rolled, and the sixes ar taken out after each roll. The rolling commences until all dices are gone.

The question is, to develop an equation/function or model that descibes the above behaviour, and use it to predict on which roll the number of dice are exactly half of the original number, that is, 108.

I think its smth like a dice has 1/6 probability of getting a six. There must be an extension of the equation to describe how the remaining dices will behave after a certain number has been picked out. Smth like the sum of 1/6 to 216 (n) minus the number of sixes or smth. I also think that the rolls are independent from each other. At this stage, everything gets messed up.

please help! o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Link said:
Ok i got this assignment to develop a model for describing dice behaviour. I have no studied probability before, so i don't even know where to start.

There are 216 dices. They are rolled, and the sixes ar taken out after each roll. The rolling commences until all dices are gone.

The question is, to develop an equation/function or model that descibes the above behaviour, and use it to predict on which roll the number of dice are exactly half of the original number, that is, 108.

I think its smth like a dice has 1/6 probability of getting a six. There must be an extension of the equation to describe how the remaining dices will behave after a certain number has been picked out. Smth like the sum of 1/6 to 216 (n) minus the number of sixes or smth. I also think that the rolls are independent from each other. At this stage, everything gets messed up.

please help! o:)
This might be too simple, but if the probability that a dice will be removed is 1/6 how many dices should be removed each throw (theoretically)?

And could you make some kind of formula with this using n = amount of throws?

I think that you should just use it as a geometric sequence, multiplying by another 5/6 each time...I sent you a PM, I hope it helps :D

moose said:
I think that you should just use it as a geometric sequence, multiplying by another 5/6 each time...I sent you a PM, I hope it helps :D
... :) let him reach that conclusion by himself :P

By the way: there is no such word as "dices". "Dice" is itself the plural of "die".

1. What is the probability of rolling a specific number on a single die?

The probability of rolling a specific number on a single die is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%. This is because there are six possible outcomes (numbers 1-6) and only one of those outcomes will result in the specific number being rolled.

2. What is the probability of rolling a specific combination of numbers on two dice?

The probability of rolling a specific combination of numbers on two dice can vary, depending on the combination. However, in general, the probability can be calculated by multiplying the probabilities of each individual die. For example, the probability of rolling a 2 and a 4 on two dice would be (1/6) x (1/6) = 1/36 or approximately 2.78%.

3. How many possible outcomes are there when rolling two dice?

There are 36 possible outcomes when rolling two dice. This is because each die has six possible outcomes, and when two dice are rolled, the number of possible outcomes is equal to the product of the number of outcomes on each die (6 x 6 = 36).

4. What is the probability of rolling an even number on a single die?

The probability of rolling an even number on a single die is 3/6 or 1/2, which is equivalent to 50%. This is because there are three even numbers (2, 4, and 6) out of the six possible outcomes on a single die.

5. How can probability be used to predict outcomes when rolling multiple dice?

Probability can be used to make predictions about the likelihood of specific outcomes when rolling multiple dice. By calculating the probability of each individual die and multiplying them together, the overall probability of a specific outcome can be determined. However, it's important to keep in mind that probability is not a guarantee and actual outcomes may vary.