1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dice probability homework

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    Ok i got this assignment to develop a model for describing dice behaviour. I have no studied probability before, so i dont even know where to start.

There are 216 dices. They are rolled, and the sixes ar taken out after each roll. The rolling commences until all dices are gone.

The question is, to develop an equation/function or model that descibes the above behaviour, and use it to predict on which roll the number of dice are exactly half of the original number, that is, 108.

I think its smth like a dice has 1/6 probability of getting a six. There must be an extension of the equation to describe how the remaining dices will behave after a certain number has been picked out. Smth like the sum of 1/6 to 216 (n) minus the number of sixes or smth. I also think that the rolls are independent from each other. At this stage, everything gets messed up.

plz help! o:)

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2
    This might be too simple, but if the probability that a dice will be removed is 1/6 how many dices should be removed each throw (theoretically)?

And could you make some kind of formula with this using n = amount of throws?

4. May 30, 2005 #3
    I think that you should just use it as a geometric sequence, multiplying by another 5/6 each time.....I sent you a PM, I hope it helps :D

5. May 30, 2005 #4
    ... :) let him reach that conclusion by himself :P

6. May 30, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way: there is no such word as "dices". "Dice" is itself the plural of "die".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?