Did I find the correct ratio in this magnetic field question?

In summary, the conversation discusses using two equations to find the ratio N1/N2=λ. However, there is uncertainty about whether λ needs to be an actual number or if it can be a variable. The problem setup is not fully explained, but it is suggested that the correct answer may be 2λ, since the current in the second coil is twice that of the first coil.
HazyMan
Homework Statement
A current carrying coil has a spiral amount N1, length L and a current of I1 flows through it. A current of I2=2I1 flows through a cyclic current carrying wire, which has the coil's axis start as it's centre, has a radius of r=L/λ and is parallel to it. Find the spiral ratio N1/N2 where the magnitude B is equal to 0.
NOTE: Kμ is a constant equal to 10^-7
Relevant Equations
B1=Κμ4π(N1/L)I1 and B2=Κμ(4πI1/L)λN2
I used the two equations i listed by using [TEX]B1=B2[/TEX] and by doing that i ended up finding that [TEX]N1/N2=λ[/TEX].
However i am not sure if that's the correct answer as λ is just a variable and not an actual number. Do you think it has to be an actual number or is it not really necessary?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand the problem setup entirely (you don't tell us for example what ##N_2## is and also a scheme would help enormously, if you have a picture of it, use the upload image link to post it here) but I think the correct answer should be ##2\lambda## since the current in the second coil is two times the current of the first coil.

1. What is a magnetic field ratio?

A magnetic field ratio refers to the relationship between the strength of a magnetic field and other variables, such as distance or current. It is often used to calculate the force exerted on a charged particle in a magnetic field.

2. How do I calculate the magnetic field ratio?

To calculate the magnetic field ratio, you will need to know the strength of the magnetic field (measured in Tesla), the distance between the magnet and the particle, and the charge of the particle. You can use the formula F = qvB to calculate the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field, where F is the force, q is the charge, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field strength.

3. Why is the magnetic field ratio important?

The magnetic field ratio is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field. This is crucial for many scientific applications, such as particle accelerators and magnetic confinement in fusion reactors.

4. Can the magnetic field ratio change?

Yes, the magnetic field ratio can change depending on the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the magnet and the particle, and the charge of the particle. It can also be affected by other factors, such as the orientation of the magnetic field or the presence of other electromagnetic fields.

5. How do I know if I have found the correct magnetic field ratio?

To determine if you have found the correct magnetic field ratio, you can compare your calculated ratio to known values or use it to make predictions about the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field. You can also check your calculations and ensure that all units are consistent and the correct formula was used.