Did I Miss the Quadrantid Meteor Shower in Kansas on Wednesday Morning?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteor
In summary, there will be a meteor shower in Kansas on Wednesday morning from 2:00 to 4:00 AM, visible from South Jersey. The prediction is for 100 meteors per hour and moonlight will not affect the viewing. Some people plan to watch, while others are disappointed they missed it. NASA will also have a live camera feed from Huntsville Alabama for those unable to see it in person.
Jimmy Snyder
From 2:00 until 4:00 Wednesday morning there will be a meteor shower in Kansas that will be visible from South Jersey. I will be out there watching Evo dodge the bigger ones. The prediction is for 100 meteors per hour and moonlight will not wash out the show.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to try to catch one on my tongue!

Definitely going to try to check this out. Still need to get up early for work, so I'm hoping I'll have some in between time, or just deal with it.

If I'm up at that hour, I will be in the bathroom. :redface:

edward said:
NASA will have a live camera feed from Huntsville Alabama.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-msfc

Somehow that is just not the same :uhh:

You know Edward, there is just one thing better than watching this live feed and that's watching it on dial-up. :rofl:

Disappointed that I was unable to catch it.

When I woke up it was already 4:30 AM bummer

What is the Quadrantid meteor shower?

The Quadrantid meteor shower is an annual meteor shower that occurs every January. It is known for its bright fireballs and can produce up to 120 meteors per hour.

When does the Quadrantid meteor shower occur?

The Quadrantid meteor shower occurs every year around January 1-5. The peak of the shower typically happens on January 3-4, but it can vary from year to year.

Where is the best place to view the Quadrantid meteor shower?

The Quadrantid meteor shower can be viewed from anywhere in the world, but it is best seen from the Northern Hemisphere. It is recommended to find a dark, open area away from city lights for optimal viewing.

What causes the Quadrantid meteor shower?

The Quadrantid meteor shower is caused by debris from the asteroid 2003 EH1, which was possibly a comet that broke apart. When Earth passes through this debris, the particles enter our atmosphere and burn up, creating the meteor shower.

How can I photograph the Quadrantid meteor shower?

To photograph the Quadrantid meteor shower, you will need a camera with manual settings, a tripod, and a remote or timer. Find a dark location and set your camera to a high ISO and a long exposure time. Be patient and take multiple shots to increase your chances of capturing a meteor.