Did Paul Dirac believe in multiple universes?

In summary, physicist Paul Dirac proposed a hypothesis that suggested the possibility of constants and laws of physics changing over time. This hypothesis was later used by Robert Dicke to support the anthropic principle and the idea of multiple universes with their own set of rules. While Dicke's reasoning was based on the assumption of multiple universes, Dirac himself never explicitly stated his belief in their existence. He was likely agnostic on the matter with no way to prove or disprove the idea.
Suekdccia
Prominent physicist Paul Dirac proposed a hypothesis that indicated that constants and laws of physics would evolve with time into different constants and laws of nature (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_large_numbers_hypothesis)

This hypothesis was used by Robert Dicke (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Dicke) to argue in favour of the anthropic principle and the existence of multiple universes each one with its own set of rules and laws.

While Dicke modified Dirac's hypothesis, I have read that Dirac himself once said that 'Dicke's reasoning was sound'.

Does that mean that Dirac, like Dicke, considered the existence of multiple universes with their own set of rules?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dicke was reasoning from a presumption of multiple universes and that was the reasoning Dirac would have been agreeing with. This says nothing as to whether Dirac agreed with the premise. This is my speculation but I would suspect that Dirac was agnostic on the matter, no positive belief but no way to prove otherwise.

Likes Klystron