Dielectric and Parallel Plate Capacitor, the point?

In summary, a dielectric is inserted between two parallel plates of a capacitor to increase the capacitance. Increasing the capacitance does nothing to decrease the potential energy of the charge, which is why dielectrics are used in capacitors.
RadiantL
Hi, so I'm having a little trouble understanding why... you would put a dielectric in between a parallel plate capacitor? I know it increases the capacitance but it does so by lowering the potential difference sooo... The charge is still the same, I believe the potential energy also decreases as well. (correct me if any of what I said was wrong, sorry)

So yeah, if I got my thinking straight, what's the point of putting a dielectric in there? Also am I wrong to say increasing the capacitance, here would do nothing... well great?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Putting a solid dielectric in a capacitor increases the capacitance and so reduces the size of a capacitor for a given capacitance.

It also makes construction of the capacitor easier. Somehow, you need to hold the plates of the capacitor apart and this is not easy with an air dielectric.

Air dielectric capacitors are still used for very small capacitors, especially if they are variable capacitance ones for tuning of resonant circuits.
They are not normally made larger than 1000 pF, though. This is 1 nano Farad or 0.000 000 001 Farads. Such a capacitor would be several cubic inches in volume while a capacitor of 1 Farad can be made in about a cubic inch, because it has a solid dielectric. (Well, the dielectric is an oxide coating on the metal electrodes although the capacitor contains a jelly-like substance.)

RadiantL,

Hi, so I'm having a little trouble understanding why... you would put a dielectric in between a parallel plate capacitor? I know it increases the capacitance but it does so by lowering the potential difference sooo...

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is k*ε*A/d, where k is the dielectric constant, ε is the permittivity of free space, A is the plate area, and d is the plate separation. Do you see potential difference in that formula? No? Then the capacitance is invariant with respect to potential difference.

The charge is still the same, I believe the potential energy also decreases as well. (correct me if any of what I said was wrong, sorry)

The charge imbalance? That depends on the capacitance and voltage, doesn't it? Q=C*E . The potential energy? That depends on (1/2)*C*E^2 or (1/2)*(Q^2)/C, doesn't it?

Ratch

Thanks for the replies! That, and a little bit of careful reading helped, clear up my mind a little :P

1. What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is an insulating material that can be placed between the plates of a capacitor to increase its capacitance. It is typically made of a non-conductive material such as plastic, glass, or ceramic.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor consists of two parallel conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied to the plates, an electric field is created between them. This causes the accumulation of opposite charges on each plate, resulting in a potential difference between the plates.

3. What is the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the surface area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them. It is also affected by the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

4. How does a dielectric material affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

A dielectric material increases the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates. This is because the material has a higher dielectric constant than air, allowing for more charge to be stored on the plates at a given voltage.

5. What is the significance of the point between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor?

The point between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is the point at which the electric field is strongest. This is because the electric field lines are perpendicular to the plates at this point, resulting in a higher electric field strength. It is also the point where the potential difference between the plates is measured.