Diff eq. and linear algebra concurrently and before calc III?

In summary, this person is taking classes that they don't think make sense because they are scheduled after other classes that they think will be more difficult. They are worried about the teaching load and whether or not they can do the course.
huskerwr38
So my engineering program has me taking LA and Diff. Eq. in the same semester, after Calc II and before Calc III. I don't understand why that is...what would be the idea behind this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mind I ask what is the name of your alma mater? I think LA and Diff.eq is doable, it may just be more difficult.

Yea, no problem it's University of Nebraska-Omaha. Here is a link to a sample of classes,
http://www.ceen.unomaha.edu/undergrad/pre-ee-xfer.php"

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they offer LA and DE only in the fall, and Calc III only in the spring? If so, I can only speculate that it might be done that way in order to distribute the teaching load properly among X number of faculty within the math department.

If they do offer Calc III in the fall and LA/DE in the spring, I don't see any reason why you couldn't switch those courses around.

huskerwr38 said:
Yea, no problem it's University of Nebraska-Omaha. Here is a link to a sample of classes,
http://www.ceen.unomaha.edu/undergrad/pre-ee-xfer.php"

Hey wait...why is Calc III after both LA and Diff...? I can understand for LA, but really for diff too?

Last edited by a moderator:
This makes sense to me. Linear algebra and differential equations are closely related, and the intuition you gain from that connection will help with the perhaps more confusing multivariate calculus.

I really wish I could have taken Differential Equations and Linear Algebra at the same time. The classes fit very nicely together and it would have made learning calculus 3 much easier. I think depending on the school Differential is easier to take before because it uses very little Calculus 3 concepts. Only continuing courses uses more Calculus 3 in it.

Stanford's 50's sequence sort of integrate the topics of multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. (They are on a quarter system, and usually, 3 quarters = 2 semesters.) Math 51 covers some linear algebra and multivariable calc., Math 52 covers some more multivariable calc., and Math 53 covers some more linear algebra and diff. eq.

There are schools where you take multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations in two semester courses instead of three. Usually schools that do this will condense linear algebra & differential equations into a single, semester course, with multivariable calculus being the other semester course. Although in this format, (usually) multivariable calculus is taken before linear algebra + diff. eq.

jtbell said:
Do they offer LA and DE only in the fall, and Calc III only in the spring? If so, I can only speculate that it might be done that way in order to distribute the teaching load properly among X number of faculty within the math department.

If they do offer Calc III in the fall and LA/DE in the spring, I don't see any reason why you couldn't switch those courses around.

No, they offer all of those classes both spring and fall semesters.

So most of you guys are saying this is should not be a problem? I guess I'll just go with it because that is what my schedule says and I'll talk with my adviser about it too.

1. What is the purpose of learning differential equations and linear algebra before taking calculus III?

Understanding differential equations and linear algebra is essential for success in calculus III, as these topics build the foundation for many of the concepts and techniques used in calculus III. Differential equations and linear algebra provide a deeper understanding of functions, systems of equations, and mathematical modeling, all of which are important in calculus III.

2. How are differential equations and linear algebra related?

Differential equations and linear algebra are closely related as they both deal with the study of functions and their properties. Linear algebra provides the tools and techniques for solving systems of equations, which are used in differential equations to model and solve real-world problems. Additionally, the concepts of linear independence and basis vectors in linear algebra are important in understanding the behavior of solutions to differential equations.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in linear algebra to understand differential equations?

While it is not necessary to have a strong background in linear algebra to understand differential equations, a basic understanding of linear algebra concepts is beneficial. Some calculus III courses may review certain linear algebra topics, but having a solid foundation in linear algebra can make it easier to understand and apply concepts in differential equations.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential equations and linear algebra?

Differential equations and linear algebra have numerous real-world applications, such as modeling population growth, predicting the spread of diseases, analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, and understanding the motion of objects under the influence of forces. These mathematical tools are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

5. How can I improve my understanding of differential equations and linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of differential equations and linear algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and working through examples. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems can also help solidify your understanding. Working with a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in gaining a deeper understanding of these subjects.