1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diff Eq prob from advanced dynamics

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Diff eq z*z(double dot) + z(dot)^2 - gz = 0. The dots are derivatives with respect to time. Initial condition z(0)=z(not)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is part of a larger advanced dynamics problem, where I am asked to get the velocity (z dot) as a function of z. I've spent the last seven trying to solve this by A) trying to seperate the variables, and I can't because I end up with

dv/dz + v/z = g/v

If I break up z(double dot), which is dv/dt into (dv/dz)(dz/dt), and I know know dz/dt is velocity and I replace z(dot) with velocity as well.

I also know that position z has to be a function of time, so I tried a trial solution of z=at^n, and found that the trial solution z = (ag/2)*t^2 where a is 1/3, solved for time and plugged into z(dot)=agt gives me a nice function of velocity, but is not the answer in the back of the book, and rightfully so since I haven't applied initial conditions anywhere. [I do have the right diff eq though, confirmed by the answer in the book]

So, my question is how the heck do I solve that diff eq by integrating? Is there a trick or something I'm missing to separate the variables?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?