Diff Eq prob from advanced dynamics

In summary, the posted problem is a second-order linear differential equation with variable coefficients and there is no general method for solving such equations. Advanced techniques or numerical methods may be necessary, and it is recommended to rewrite the equation in terms of t and try to simplify it before resorting to these methods.
AlphaRussOmega

Homework Statement

Diff eq z*z(double dot) + z(dot)^2 - gz = 0. The dots are derivatives with respect to time. Initial condition z(0)=z(not)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is part of a larger advanced dynamics problem, where I am asked to get the velocity (z dot) as a function of z. I've spent the last seven trying to solve this by A) trying to separate the variables, and I can't because I end up with

dv/dz + v/z = g/v

If I break up z(double dot), which is dv/dt into (dv/dz)(dz/dt), and I know know dz/dt is velocity and I replace z(dot) with velocity as well.

I also know that position z has to be a function of time, so I tried a trial solution of z=at^n, and found that the trial solution z = (ag/2)*t^2 where a is 1/3, solved for time and plugged into z(dot)=agt gives me a nice function of velocity, but is not the answer in the back of the book, and rightfully so since I haven't applied initial conditions anywhere. [I do have the right diff eq though, confirmed by the answer in the book]

So, my question is how the heck do I solve that diff eq by integrating? Is there a trick or something I'm missing to separate the variables?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. The differential equation you have provided is a second-order linear differential equation with variable coefficients. Unfortunately, there is no general method for solving such equations, and it often requires advanced techniques or numerical methods to find a solution. However, here are some steps you can take to try and solve the equation:

1. Rewrite the equation in terms of the variable t instead of z. This will make it easier to integrate.

2. Try to find a substitution that will simplify the equation. This could involve using a variable transformation or assuming a particular form for z(t).

3. If possible, try to factor the equation or use separation of variables to simplify it.

4. If all else fails, you may need to use numerical methods or consult advanced resources for help in solving the equation.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your problem!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to model various real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and integration. Some equations may also be solved using numerical techniques or by using software such as MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables. ODEs are typically used for modeling one-dimensional systems, while PDEs are used for multi-dimensional systems.

4. How are differential equations used in advanced dynamics?

Advanced dynamics is the study of the motion of objects and systems under the influence of forces. Differential equations are used to model the forces acting on the system and to determine the resulting motion. This allows for the prediction of the behavior of complex systems, such as those found in celestial mechanics and fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of differential equations in advanced dynamics?

Yes, there are numerous real-world applications of differential equations in advanced dynamics. For example, they are used in aerospace engineering to model the flight of spacecraft and in mechanical engineering to design efficient systems with minimal friction. Differential equations are also used in the study of weather patterns and in the development of financial models.