Difference between dye and pigment

• Thread starter fog37
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello Forum,

What is the chemical difference between a dye and a pigment? Are most objects around us colored by pigments or dyes? Both are responsible for giving color to objects....

I know that pigments are insoluble while dyes are soluble...

Best,
fog37

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Are you sure these things are defined precisely enough to make classification always possible? Or - are you sure there are no substances that can be classified as both?

Also note that "solubility" is a too not well defined. Everything dissolves to some extent. Whether - for practical purposes - we call something soluble or insoluble, often depends on application.

Hello Borek,

I agree about solubility: it all depends on the solvent used.

As far as the distinction between dye and pigment, I am not sure. I always hear about pigments in relation to color....

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
From Wiki, "A distinction is usually made between a pigment, which is insoluble in its vehicle (resulting in a suspension), and a dye, which either is itself a liquid or is soluble in its vehicle (resulting in a solution). A colorant can act as either a pigment or a dye depending on the vehicle involved. In some cases, a pigment can be manufactured from a dye by precipitating a soluble dye with a metallic salt. The resulting pigment is called a lake pigment. The term biological pigment is used for all colored substances independent of their solubility."

In textile manufacture, pigments are particulates and dyes are soluble colorants. A widely used pigment is TiO2.

Chet