Difference between outbursts and flares in X-ray accreting binaries

In summary, there are two types of transients in the X-ray emission of accreting neutron stars: outbursts and flares. The main difference between them may be the timescale, with flares implying a brief period of enhanced emission while outbursts can last longer. However, these designations may not be the most important factor, as there are other discriminators such as type I or type II events based on the origin of the X-ray emission. It is important to understand the context of the event rather than getting too caught up in the terminology.
RHK
Hello to everybody.

I am studying the accreting neutron stars (pulsars) in the X-ray band.
Reading a number of papers, I noticed that there are two kinds of transients: the "outbursts" and the "flares".
Unfortunately, I still don't understand what is the difference between them, if it is.

Anyone can help me?
Thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It has been a little while since I've done research on X-ray emission from neutron stars, but a possible difference might be the timescale of the event. Flares tend to imply a brief period of enhanced X-ray emission, where an outburst does not have to mean brief (ex: superburst last for hours). But I wouldn't get too hung up on this nomenclature. I'm also saying that I don't know the difference as used in the literature.

There are other discriminators between types of X-ray events in these systems. I believe that people often refer to "type I" or "type II" events, which refer to the origin of the X-ray emission (surface/accretion disk respectively, I think). So long as you are aware of the context of the event, the designations aren't the most important things.

What is the difference between outbursts and flares in X-ray accreting binaries?

The main difference between outbursts and flares in X-ray accreting binaries is their duration and intensity. Outbursts are long-lasting and gradual increases in X-ray emission, while flares are short-lived and sudden increases in X-ray emission.

How are outbursts and flares triggered in X-ray accreting binaries?

Outbursts are triggered by an increase in the rate of mass transfer from the companion star to the accreting binary, leading to an increase in X-ray emission. Flares, on the other hand, are triggered by sudden changes in the accretion process, such as changes in the magnetic field or accretion disk instability.

What causes X-ray emission in accreting binaries during outbursts and flares?

X-ray emission in accreting binaries during outbursts and flares is caused by the release of gravitational potential energy as the matter from the companion star falls onto the compact object. This energy is converted into X-rays as the matter spirals towards the accreting object and heats up.

Are outbursts and flares in X-ray accreting binaries predictable?

Outbursts and flares in X-ray accreting binaries are not always predictable, as they are influenced by a variety of factors such as the mass transfer rate, magnetic field strength, and the stability of the accretion disk. However, with advanced monitoring techniques, it is possible to detect patterns and make predictions about the occurrence of outbursts and flares.

How do outbursts and flares in X-ray accreting binaries impact the evolution of these systems?

Outbursts and flares can have a significant impact on the evolution of X-ray accreting binaries. They can alter the mass transfer rate and affect the stability of the accretion disk, leading to changes in the orbital period and mass of the compact object. These events also provide important clues about the physical processes occurring in these systems, which can help us better understand their evolution.