Solar flare: Help normalizing the Band function

In summary, the conversation is about normalizing a proton energy spectrum from a solar flare using the Band Function as described in a paper by Bruno (2019). The parameters of the Band Function are empirically fit to the data and the units of the function are plotted as "per steradian". The second question is why the units are not in simple units of "protons per cm^2" if the flux is not isotropic. The conversation also discusses an attempt at normalizing the spectrum using a power law integral, but the first integral does not have the same bounds of integration and the parameter A is determined empirically by measuring the flux of particles at a given energy and point in space.
Hercuflea
TL;DR Summary
Need help normalizing Solar flare proton energy spectrum (Band function) and understanding its units.
I am trying to understand how to normalize a proton energy spectrum from a solar flare.
The spectrum is given by the Band Function, and I cite the paper "Spectral Analysis of the September 2017 Solar Energetic Particle Events" by Bruno in 2019, link to paper. The equation number in the paper is (2):
$$\phi_{\text{Band}}(E)=
\begin{cases}
AE^{-\gamma_{a}}e^{-\frac E {E_0}} & \text{for } E < (\gamma_b - \gamma_a)E_0 \\
AE^{-\gamma_{b}}[(\gamma_{b}-\gamma_{a})E_0]^{(\gamma_{b}-\gamma_{a})}e^{\gamma_{a}-\gamma_{b}} & \text{for } E > (\gamma_b - \gamma_a)E_0
\end{cases} $$
The parameters ##\gamma_{a}##, ##\gamma_{b}## and ##E_0## are empirically fit parameters to his data. The parameter ##A## is a scaling factor.
In the paper, the units of ##\phi_{\text{Band}}## are plotted as ##\frac {1} {\text{MeV} \text{sr} \text{cm}^2}##. I would like to determine the units of the spectrum ##\phi(E)## in simple units of ##\frac {\text{protons}} {\text{cm}^2}## for each energy in MeV at 1 AU from the Sun.
Secondly, I don't understand why the units in Figure 4 of the paper are in "per steradian" when solar flare protons are not isotropic, but travel along the Interplanetary Magnetic Field lines, (if I understand correctly, I'm not a professional solar physicist)? I have read that the flux of protons depends upon whether the point of interest in the solar system is magnetically connected to the source of the flare or not. So why is it plotted in units of ##sr^{-1}## if the flux is not isotropic?
Here is my attempt at normalizing the spectrum:

For simplicity, define ##k=(\gamma_{b}-\gamma_{a})E_0## and ##C=[(\gamma_{b}-\gamma_{a})E_0]^{(\gamma_{b}-\gamma_{a})}e^{\gamma_{a}-\gamma_{b}}##, then
$$1 = \int_{E_{\text{min}}}^{E_{\text{max}}}φ_{Band}(E)dE$$$$1 = \int_{E_{\text{min}}}^{k}AE^{-\gamma_{a}}e^{-\frac {E} {E_0}}dE+\int_{k}^{E_{\text{max}}}AE^{-\gamma_{b}}CdE$$

$$1 = A \left[ \int_{E_{\text{min}}}^{k}E^{-\gamma_{a}}e^{-\frac {E} {E_0}}dE+C\int_{k}^{E_{\text{max}}}E^{-\gamma_{b}}dE\right]$$

$$A= \frac {1} { \int_{E_{\text{min}}}^{k}\frac{e^{-\frac {E} {E_0}}}{E^{\gamma_{a}}}dE+\frac {C} {1-\gamma_{b}}(E_{\text{max}}^{1-\gamma_{b}}-k_{}^{1-\gamma_{b}})} $$

As can be seen, the second integral in the equation is a simple power law integral, but the first one is not. It has the same form as the generalized Exponential Integral (if you define ##t=E## and ##x=\frac{1}{E_0}## and ##n=\gamma_{a}##)

$$E_{n}(x)=\int_{1}^{∞} \frac{e^{-xt}} {t^n} dt$$

but it does not have the same bounds of integration and ##n## is supposed to be an integer in the exponential integral, but it is not an integer here... This is where I am stuck.

Also, how would the parameter A be determined empirically rather than analytically?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To answer your second question, the units of "per steradian" are used because the flux of particles is not isotropic. The flux of particles is given by the Band Function, which is a function of energy, and the distribution of particles in space is determined by the Interplanetary Magnetic Field lines. Thus, the units of "per steradian" are used to indicate that the flux of particles is not isotropic, but is instead determined by the Interplanetary Magnetic Field lines.To determine the parameter A empirically, one would need to measure the flux of particles at a given energy at a given point in space. This could be done by measuring the flux of particles with a particle detector, such as a Geiger counter, at a given point in space. The measured flux of particles would then be used to determine the value of A.

1. What is a solar flare?

A solar flare is a sudden, rapid, and intense increase in the brightness of the Sun's outer atmosphere. It is caused by a release of energy stored in the Sun's magnetic field.

2. How does a solar flare affect Earth?

Solar flares can release a large amount of energy and particles, known as solar radiation, into space. If Earth is in the path of this radiation, it can cause disruptions in satellite communications, power grids, and even harm astronauts in space.

3. What is the Band function in relation to solar flares?

The Band function is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of solar flares. It helps to normalize the data collected from various instruments and allows scientists to compare and analyze solar flares more accurately.

4. Why is normalizing the Band function important?

Normalizing the Band function is important because it allows scientists to compare data from different instruments and locations. This helps to create a more comprehensive understanding of solar flares and their effects on Earth.

5. How can scientists predict and prepare for solar flares?

Scientists use various instruments and models, such as the Band function, to monitor the Sun's activity and predict when a solar flare may occur. This information can then be used to prepare and protect vulnerable systems on Earth, such as power grids and satellites.