Difference between two statements

• Thread starter Jingfei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary: Statement (a) is stated according to the usual rules of logic though. The comma between the quantifiers usually are read as "such that".Statement (a) is stated according to the usual rules of logic though. The comma between the quantifiers usually are read as "such that".
Jingfei

Homework Statement

Write each of the following as an English sentence and state whether it is true or false:
a) ∀x ∈ R, ∃y ∈ R, y^3 = x.
b) ∃y ∈ R, ∀x ∈ R, y^3 = x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think both say every real number has at least one cubic root. Maybe the second one says, there exist a least one cubic root for every real number?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that statement b) is poorly stated and that a better math statement would be:
∃y ∈ R such that ∀x ∈ R, y^3 = x.

With that change, you should be able to make clear English statements from both a) and b) and say which are true.

FactChecker said:
I think that statement b) is poorly stated and that a better math statement would be:

With that change, you should be able to make clear English statements from both a) and b) and say which are true.
I think I got it.
The first one says Every real number has at least one cubic root
The second one says There is a real number that is the cubic root of every real number

So the first one is true and the second one is false.
right?

Likes FactChecker
Jingfei said:
I think I got it.
The first one says Every real number has at least one cubic root
The second one says There is a real number that is the cubic root of every real number

So the first one is true and the second one is false.
right?
Exactly. As long as that is really what the original b) statement had in mind. I think that is what the original b) intended to say.

FactChecker said:

Statement (b) is stated according to the usual rules of logic though. The comma between the quantifiers usually are read as "such that".

micromass said:
Statement (b) is stated according to the usual rules of logic though. The comma between the quantifiers usually are read as "such that".
I admit that formal logic was not my field but it is not normal to interpret the coma that way in pure math. Statement a) should not be read that way.

EDIT: I have to backtrack here. It appears that if the only way to make sense of consecutive quantifiers is to interpret the comma as "such that", then it can be interpreted that way. But I think it is much better and more common to use 's.t.'. The reason is that you only know if 'such that' is the correct meaning of a coma after you have read and understood the entire statement, and have ruled out 'and', and the usual English use of the coma as a separator. But then you are giving the writer the benefit of the doubt, which might not be deserved.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation or prediction for a phenomenon, which can be tested through experimentation. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a natural phenomenon. In simpler terms, a hypothesis is an educated guess, while a theory is a well-established fact.

2. How is a law different from a theory?

A law is a statement that describes a natural phenomenon or relationship between variables, based on repeated experiments and observations. It is a descriptive summary of what happens, while a theory explains why it happens. In other words, a law tells us what, and a theory tells us why.

3. What is the difference between a control group and an experimental group?

A control group is a group that is not exposed to the independent variable in an experiment and is used as a baseline for comparison. An experimental group, on the other hand, is exposed to the independent variable and is used to measure the effects of the variable. The difference between the two allows scientists to determine the impact of the independent variable on the dependent variable.

4. How do hypotheses and predictions differ?

A hypothesis is an educated guess about the relationship between variables, while a prediction is a specific statement about the expected outcome of an experiment. A hypothesis is used to guide the direction of an experiment, while a prediction is made based on the hypothesis and is used to determine if the hypothesis is supported or not.

5. What is the difference between qualitative and quantitative data?

Qualitative data refers to information that is descriptive and non-numerical, such as observations or interviews. On the other hand, quantitative data is numerical and can be measured and analyzed using statistical methods. Qualitative data is used to gather in-depth insights and understanding, while quantitative data is used to identify patterns and trends.