Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference in capacitors

1. Mar 14, 2007 #1
    Can anyone tell me the difference in capacitors. Such as the quality control in producing it, the testings, the specs (low esr), brand names, and if its worth buying a 30 dollars 1.5 farad capacitor v.s. a 170 dollars 1 farad capacitor.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2007 #2
    Here is some info about capacitors. I don't know much about brand names, I just don't care. ;) But you need to check out farad.net, they got a complete info on capacitors.

4. Mar 14, 2007 #3
    Let me guess foahtein, you're into car audio right?

5. Mar 14, 2007 #4
    thanks for the information, and averagesupernova, i'm not into car audio. I know that majority of the people who purchase cap's are into car audio, but i'm doing a design project that need a cap to have an actuation time of less than 1 sec.

6. Mar 14, 2007 #5
    Well, if you need the capacitor to have a discharging/charging rate of 1 sec, you need to evaluate:

Time Constant = R*C = Time to reach 63% of final value

7. Mar 14, 2007 #6
    Hmmmm. Actuation time meaning what? More info please. Depending on what you are doing, the ESR and other things might not mean a darn thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?