1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference in capacitors

1. Mar 14, 2007 #1
    Can anyone tell me the difference in capacitors. Such as the quality control in producing it, the testings, the specs (low esr), brand names, and if its worth buying a 30 dollars 1.5 farad capacitor v.s. a 170 dollars 1 farad capacitor.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2007 #2
    Here is some info about capacitors. I don't know much about brand names, I just don't care. ;) But you need to check out farad.net, they got a complete info on capacitors.

4. Mar 14, 2007 #3
    Let me guess foahtein, you're into car audio right?

5. Mar 14, 2007 #4
    thanks for the information, and averagesupernova, i'm not into car audio. I know that majority of the people who purchase cap's are into car audio, but i'm doing a design project that need a cap to have an actuation time of less than 1 sec.

6. Mar 14, 2007 #5
    Well, if you need the capacitor to have a discharging/charging rate of 1 sec, you need to evaluate:

Time Constant = R*C = Time to reach 63% of final value

7. Mar 14, 2007 #6
    Hmmmm. Actuation time meaning what? More info please. Depending on what you are doing, the ESR and other things might not mean a darn thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?