Different Forms of Newton's 2nd Law

In summary, the conversation is about proving that Δx = m/A * ln (v0/v) using Newton's second law in the form ΣF = m dv/dt, where A is a constant. The person is stuck because they are not allowed to use ΣF = mv dv/dx, but they are only asked to prove that it is a solution for this force law. They are advised to find dv/dt from the expression for x(v) and plug it in.
A. Aspart
I’m supposed to prove that if ΣF(v) = -Av^2, where A is a constant, then Δx = m/A * ln (v0/v) by using Newton’s second law in the form ΣF = m dv/dt.

I can solve the problem by using the form ΣF = mv dv/dx; however, it’s specifically stated that I’m not allowed to use the law in that form (since it's the second part of the particular assignment), and therefore I’m stuck.

Can someone please help? I’d appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, they don't ask you to find x(t). Just to prove that it's a solution of the second law for this force law.
Find dv/dt directly from the expression for x(v) and plug in.

Thanks for the reply. I realize now that I misunderstood the assignment.

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law and what does it state?

Newton's 2nd Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What are the different forms of Newton's 2nd Law?

The three forms of Newton's 2nd Law are:
1. F = ma (force equals mass times acceleration)
2. a = F/m (acceleration equals force divided by mass)
3. m = F/a (mass equals force divided by acceleration)

3. How do the different forms of Newton's 2nd Law relate to each other?

The three forms of Newton's 2nd Law are mathematically equivalent and can be used interchangeably to solve problems involving force, mass, and acceleration.

4. Can Newton's 2nd Law be applied to objects at rest?

No, Newton's 2nd Law only applies to objects in motion. For objects at rest, the net force acting on them is zero, resulting in zero acceleration.

5. What is the significance of Newton's 2nd Law in physics?

Newton's 2nd Law is a fundamental principle in physics, providing a quantitative relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It is essential in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in our everyday world.