So, the car takes approximately 8.43 seconds to travel 100 meters.

In summary, we are given a car with an acceleration of t m/s^2, an initial velocity of 0 m/s, and an initial position of 0 m. By integrating a(t) and then solving for t with the second integration, we find that the kinematic equation for distance is x(t)=1/6t^3. To find the time it takes the car to travel 100 m, we set x(t) equal to 100 and solve for t, giving us a time of approximately 8.434 seconds.
tomc612
Hi,
another question I am having trouble withView attachment 6215

so my thought at the moment is to integrate a(t), which results in 1/2at^2 which is the kinematic equation for distance and then solve for the equation to equal 100.

Just doesn't seem right to me and possibly too easy a solution.. think I am missing something here.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 5.21.40 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 5.21.40 pm.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 49
Physics news on Phys.org
tomc612 said:
Hi,
another question I am having trouble with

so my thought at the moment is to integrate a(t), which results in 1/2at^2 which is the kinematic equation for distance and then solve for the equation to equal 100.

Just doesn't seem right to me and possibly too easy a solution.. think I am missing something here.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Well for one thing, acceleration is the derivative of VELOCITY, not distance.

You will need to integrate TWICE and use some known conditions to evaluate the constants.

hi,
anti derivative of a(t) = 1/2at^2

anti-derivative of 1/2at^2 = 1/6at^3

which doesn't look like any of the kinematic equations.

Still puzzled by this one as S= S(i) + V(i)+ 1/2at^2 which the derivative will give you a(t). Then solve with S = 100m

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

tomc612 said:
hi,
anti derivative of a(t) = 1/2at^2
No, it isn't. You were told that a(t)= t, not a(t)= at. The anti-derivative of t is [tex]v(t)=
\frac{t^2}{2}+ C[/tex] for some constant C. Since v(0)= C, that constant is the speed at t= 0. And since, in this problem, the car is initially stopped, C= v(0)= 0.

anti-derivative of 1/2at^2 = 1/6at^3
Again, there is no constant "a". The anti-derivative of the velocity function, [tex]\frac{t^2}{2}+ C[/tex], is [tex]\frac{t^3}{6}+ Ct+ D[/tex] where D is another constant (here, the initial position).

which doesn't look like any of the kinematic equations.
The "kinematic equations" you are referring to assume constant acceleration which isn't the case here.

Still puzzled by this one as S= S(i) + V(i)+ 1/2at^2 which the derivative will give you a(t).
No, it won't. The second derivative will give you the constant a. There is no such a in this problem, the acceleration is not constant.

Then solve with S = 100m
That is assuming you took the initial position to be at S= 0.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
My advice would be to start learning, and understanding, the material rather than memorizing formulas! You will always, as here, run into situations where the basic assumptions (that the acceleration is a constant) for those formulas do not hold.

Hi,
yeah really struggling with this one.

So as its listed as a differential application, I've assumed there would be a First or Second Order differential to apply.

if a(t) = t just doesn't seem to be a lot to go on.

I can only think of integrating a(t) and then solving for t with the second integration as that would represent distance.

Any more help appreciated

Thanks
HallsofIvy said:
No, it isn't. You were told that a(t)= t, not a(t)= at. The anti-derivative of t is [tex]v(t)=
\frac{t^2}{2}+ C[/tex] for some constant C. Since v(0)= C, that constant is the speed at t= 0. And since, in this problem, the car is initially stopped, C= v(0)= 0. Again, there is no constant "a". The anti-derivative of the velocity function, [tex]\frac{t^2}{2}+ C[/tex], is [tex]\frac{t^3}{6}+ Ct+ D[/tex] where D is another constant (here, the initial position). The "kinematic equations" you are referring to assume constant acceleration which isn't the case here. No, it won't. The second derivative will give you the constant a. There is no such a in this problem, the acceleration is not constant. That is assuming you took the initial position to be at S= 0. My advice would be to start learning, and understanding, the material rather than memorizing formulas! You will always, as here, run into situations where the basic assumptions (that the acceleration is a constant) for those formulas do not hold.

We are given:

\(\displaystyle a(t)=t,\,v_0=0,\,x_0=0\)

Now, since:

\(\displaystyle a(t)\equiv\d{v}{t}\)

We may write:

\(\displaystyle \d{v}{t}=t\)

So, we may now integrate, using the boundaries and switching dummy variables of integration:

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{v(t)}\,da=\int_0^t b\,db\)

Apply the FTOC:

\(\displaystyle v(t)=\frac{1}{2}t^2\)

Okay, now since:

\(\displaystyle v(t)\equiv\d{x}{t}\)

We may write:

\(\displaystyle \d{x}{t}=\frac{1}{2}t^2\)

So, we may now integrate, using the boundaries and switching dummy variables of integration:

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{x(t)}\,da=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^t b^2\,db\)

Apply the FTOC:

\(\displaystyle x(t)=\frac{1}{6}t^3\)

To find the time (in seconds) it takes the car to travel 100 m, we may set $x(t)=100$ and solve for $t$:

\(\displaystyle 100=\frac{1}{6}t^3\)

\(\displaystyle t=\sqrt[3]{600}=2\sqrt[3]{75}\approx8.43432665301749\)

Related to So, the car takes approximately 8.43 seconds to travel 100 meters.

1. What is differential application?

Differential application is the process of applying a treatment or intervention to one group or individual while withholding it from another group or individual for the purpose of comparing the effects of the intervention.

2. How is differential application used in scientific research?

Differential application is commonly used in experimental studies to determine the causal relationship between an intervention and its effects. By randomly assigning participants to either the treatment group or the control group, researchers can compare the outcomes and determine if the intervention had a significant impact.

3. What are the benefits of using differential application?

Using differential application allows researchers to control for potential confounding variables and isolate the effects of the intervention being studied. This increases the internal validity of the study and allows for more accurate conclusions to be drawn.

4. What are some potential limitations of differential application?

One limitation of differential application is the potential for selection bias if the groups are not truly random. Additionally, ethical concerns may arise if the intervention being withheld from the control group is known to be beneficial or necessary for their well-being.

5. Can differential application be used in non-experimental studies?

While differential application is most commonly used in experimental studies, it can also be applied in non-experimental studies. This is known as a quasi-experimental design and involves comparing groups that have naturally received different levels of the intervention or treatment.