1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential calculus question

1. Jul 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The number of termites in a colony is increasing at a rate proportional to the number present on any day. If the number of termites increases by 25% in 100 days, how much longer (to the nearest day) will it be until the population is double the initial number?

2. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]=at
    T=∫at
    =[itex]\frac{at^{2}}{2}[/itex] + c
    T(x)=T
    T(0)*[itex]\frac{5}{4}[/itex] = T(100)
    => a=[itex]\frac{c}{20000}[/itex]

I think I am approaching this wrong. Help is appreciated,
    thanks.

**UPDATE: I overlooked a something, I think I figured it out now. I got t=200, does that seem right?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2014 #2
    Your initial equation seems to be wrong. The rate of change of the population is proportional to the population (on the same day).

4. Jul 8, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your expression ##T(t) = a t^2/2 + c## is incorrect; it does NOT satisfy the condition that the derivative ##dT/dt## is proportional to ##T## itself.

5. Jul 8, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

ManiFresh and Ray Vickson's point is that this is not the correct equation. Saying that "the rate is proportional to the number present" is [itex]\frac{dT}{dt}= aT[/itex].
    The "T" on the right is the number of termites, not the time in days.

6. Jul 8, 2014 #5
    So how do I solve it? I mean, are you saying the rate of change is dT/dt = aT?

7. Jul 8, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I cannot see how to answer this question without doing your problem for you. I suggest you look through your textbook or course notes to find an answer. You could also do a Google search under "growth models", for example.

8. Jul 8, 2014 #7
    What is the derivative of ln(y) with respect to t, if y is a function of t?

Chet

9. Jul 8, 2014 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to get both "dT" and "T" on the same side of the equation, "dt" on the other side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted