Differential calculus question

In summary: Then you can integrate both sides, with "dt" on the left and the other terms on the right. The result is a logarithm.
noahsdev

Homework Statement

The number of termites in a colony is increasing at a rate proportional to the number present on any day. If the number of termites increases by 25% in 100 days, how much longer (to the nearest day) will it be until the population is double the initial number?

2. The attempt at a solution
[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]=at
T=∫at
=[itex]\frac{at^{2}}{2}[/itex] + c
T(x)=T
T(0)*[itex]\frac{5}{4}[/itex] = T(100)
=> a=[itex]\frac{c}{20000}[/itex]

I think I am approaching this wrong. Help is appreciated,
thanks.

**UPDATE: I overlooked a something, I think I figured it out now. I got t=200, does that seem right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your initial equation seems to be wrong. The rate of change of the population is proportional to the population (on the same day).

noahsdev said:

Homework Statement

The number of termites in a colony is increasing at a rate proportional to the number present on any day. If the number of termites increases by 25% in 100 days, how much longer (to the nearest day) will it be until the population is double the initial number?

T=∫at
T(x)=T

thanks.

**UPDATE: I overlooked a something, I think I figured it out now. I got t=200, does that seem right?

Your expression ##T(t) = a t^2/2 + c## is incorrect; it does NOT satisfy the condition that the derivative ##dT/dt## is proportional to ##T## itself.

noahsdev said:

Homework Statement

ManiFresh and Ray Vickson's point is that this is not the correct equation. Saying that "the rate is proportional to the number present" is [itex]\frac{dT}{dt}= aT[/itex].
The "T" on the right is the number of termites, not the time in days.

T=∫at
T(x)=T

thanks.

So how do I solve it? I mean, are you saying the rate of change is dT/dt = aT?

noahsdev said:
So how do I solve it? I mean, are you saying the rate of change is dT/dt = aT?

I cannot see how to answer this question without doing your problem for you. I suggest you look through your textbook or course notes to find an answer. You could also do a Google search under "growth models", for example.

What is the derivative of ln(y) with respect to t, if y is a function of t?

Chet

You need to get both "dT" and "T" on the same side of the equation, "dt" on the other side.

Related to Differential calculus question

1. What is differential calculus?

Differential calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves. It involves finding the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point.

2. What is the difference between differential calculus and integral calculus?

Differential calculus focuses on finding the rate of change of a function, while integral calculus focuses on finding the accumulation of a function over a specific interval. They are two branches of calculus that are closely related and often used together.

3. How is differential calculus used in real life?

Differential calculus has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity of an object, the growth rate of a population, or the optimization of a production process.

4. What are some key concepts in differential calculus?

Some key concepts in differential calculus include derivatives, limits, rates of change, and the chain rule. These concepts are fundamental in understanding the behavior of functions and solving problems involving rates of change.

5. How can I improve my skills in differential calculus?

To improve your skills in differential calculus, it is important to practice regularly and solve a variety of problems. You can also seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or ask for help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with a particular concept.