Differential Equation. A little help please kind lads

In summary, Differential Equation can be confusing to solve for if you're not paying attention in class and reading the chapter in the book. A mistake was made when raising both sides of the equation to the power of e. Additionally, when matching boundary conditions it is important to evaluate the relevant function at the specified value and then set it equal to the boundary condition. So after solving for y(pi/3) = a, you should also solve for c.
Seiya
Differential Equation. A little help please kind lads :)

Hey, I've got this problem... i pay attention in class and read the chapter in the book but i can't seem to know how to solve this? ANy help is greatly appreciated lads... thank you

y'tanx=a+y y(pi/3)=a 0<x<(pi/2)

What i done

(dy/dx)tanx = a + y
dytanx=(a+y)dx
dy/(a+y)=dx/tanx

integral of both sides...

ln(a+y)=-csc^2(x) ? This isn't the answer in the back of the book, anyone can tell me where I've gone wrong? 1/tanx = cot x and the integeral of cotan is -csc^2... oh i also assumed a was a constant, is it not? :S :( thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider an alternative method of integrating cot(x), try doing a u substitution with u=sin(x).

LN(a+y) = LN (sinx) + C

Like this?

Then

a+y = sinx +c (take e^ of both sides)

so y = sinx - a

the answer is y= (4a*sinx)/sqrt(3) - a

my answer is close to that i suppose now i have to do something with that y(p/3) = a ... any hints?

sorry for the double post ... my internet messed up..im tryin to see how to slve y(pi/3) = a now

You did the integration correctly, however there's an algebraic mistake when you raised both sides of your equation to the power of e:

[tex]e^{\ln(\sin{x}) + c} \neq \sin{x} + c[/tex]
[tex]e^{\ln(\sin{x}) + c} = e^{\ln(\sin{x})} e^{c} = c \sin{x}[/tex]

(relabling e^c as just c, since they're both constants anyway).

Also, when you're matching boundary conditions the general method of attack is to evaluate the relevant function at the value specified then set it equal to the value of the boundary condition.

so i assume that i did a mistake on the a+y side as well?

Seiya said:
so i assume that i did a mistake on the a+y side as well?

No, that side's fine since the a+y is all within the natural log.

ok so i have

y=e^c sinx - a

now i have to do y(pi/3) = e^c*sin(pi/3)-a =a and solve for c?

*try*

thanks a lot i got it now, i really appreciate it :) thank you so much

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Each type has its own characteristics and applications.

3. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate solutions.

4. What are the real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in science and engineering, including in physics, biology, economics, and chemistry. They are used to model and analyze various physical and natural phenomena, such as population growth, motion, and heat transfer.

5. Are there any limitations to using differential equations?

While differential equations are powerful tools for modeling and analyzing real-world problems, they do have their limitations. In some cases, the equations may be too complex to be solved analytically, and numerical methods may be needed. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions depends on the assumptions and simplifications made in the model.