Differential Equation and Fourier Series

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a boundary value problem using a complete Fourier series expansion for a known function f(x). The goal is to find expressions for a_n and b_n in order to solve for y(x). However, the issue arises when f(x) is not given. The solution is to write out the expressions for a_n and b_n and then use the Fourier series to solve for y(x).
mathwurkz
I have this problem. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me get started.
Question:
Consider the differential equation:
[tex]\frac{d^2 y(x)}{dx^2} + y(x) = f(x) \ \ ; \ \ 0 \leq x \leq L \\[/tex]
The boundard conditions for [tex]y(x)[/tex] are: [tex]y(0) = y(L) = 0 \\[/tex]
Here f(x) is assumed to be a known function that can be expanded in a complete Fourier series:
[tex]f(x) = a_0 + \sum_1^\infty \left[ a_n cos (n \pi x / L ) + b_n \sin (n \pi x / L )\right]\\[/tex]
Write expressions for [tex]a_n[/tex] and [tex]b_n[/tex] Then use the Fourier series to solve for y(x) in the boundary value problem and show that
[tex]y(x) = L^2 \sum_1^\infty \left( \frac{b_n}{L^2 - n^2 \pi ^2}\right) \sin (n \pi x / L ) \\[/tex]
How do I go about finding a_n and b_n so I can solve for y(x) when they do not give f(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathwurkz said:
How do I go about finding a_n and b_n so I can solve for y(x) when they do not give f(x)?
Well, you can't.Obviously.

Hopefully, you will be able to write down the expressions for them.

Ok. I got it now thnks.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives, often used to describe how a system changes over time.

2. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are often used to describe one-dimensional systems, while partial differential equations are used for multi-dimensional systems.

3. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved through various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. Numerical methods can also be used to approximate solutions.

4. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is commonly used in signal processing, heat transfer, and other areas of science and engineering.

5. How is a Fourier series related to differential equations?

A Fourier series can be used to solve certain types of differential equations, specifically those that involve periodic functions. By substituting the Fourier series into the differential equation, the coefficients of the series can be determined and used to find a solution.