1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation - Find the Constant.

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    Hey,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.
    Given,
    [tex]
    {f(0)} = {0}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    {{{f}^{\prime}}{(0)}} = {0}
    [/tex]

Find the constant [tex]{C}[/tex] for the following and justify,
    [tex]
    {{\frac {1}{2}}{{\left({f(x)}\right)}^{2}} + {{\left({{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({x}\right)}}\right)}^{2}}} = {C}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations.
    Calculus.

3. The attempt at a solution.
    This problem is take from the proof of another problem and I follow what they're doing in that proof all except these last lines,
    [​IMG]
    I don't get exactly how from: [tex]{{f(0)} = {0}}[/tex] and [tex]{{f^{\prime}{(0)}} = {0}}[/tex]; they're able to determine that the constant is zero ([tex]{{C} = {0}}[/tex]).
    How do they determine that?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They put x=0 to determine the constant C, didn't they? But perhaps I don't get the problem, since you didn't really state where all of this stuff is coming from.

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    Hey,
    This problem is part of another problem I was trying to prove, the proof for that problem is below,
    [​IMG]

I follow what they're doing in the proof all except these last lines,
    [​IMG]

I don't get exactly how from: [tex]{{f(0)} = {0}}[/tex] and [tex]{{f^{\prime}{(0)}} = {0}}[/tex]; they're able to determine that the constant is zero ([tex]{{C} = {0}}[/tex]).
    How do they determine that?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I still don't get what you don't get. If f(x)^2+f'(x)^2=C is a CONSTANT, then f(x)^2+f'(x)^2 has the same value C for ALL values of x. One value of x is 0. So C=f(0)^2+f'(0)^2=0+0. ?????

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

if
    [tex]{{\frac {1}{2}}{{\left({f(x)}\right)}^{2}} + {{\left({{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({x}\right)}}\right)} ^{2}}} = {C}[/tex]
    for all x, then, in particular, it is true for x= 0 Since f(x)= 0 and f'(x)= 0,
    [tex]{{\frac {1}{2}}{{\left({0}\right)}^{2}} + {{\left({{0}}\right)} ^{2}}} = {C}[/tex]
    so C must be 0. It's that simple.

7. Nov 5, 2008 #6
    Hey,
    Ahh, right...that is right. That is, given any function of [itex]{x}[/itex] equal to a constant, than for all values of [itex]{x}[/itex] the result is the same constant.
    In other words,
    [tex]
    {g(x)} = {K}
    {,}
    {\textcolor{white}{.}}
    {\textcolor{white}{.}}
    \mbox{for all}
    {\textcolor{white}{.}}
    {x}
    [/tex]
    It was the "[tex]{\mbox{for all}{\textcolor{white}{.}}{x}}[/tex]" part that I just now realized, :redface:.
    Right, and that value of [itex]{C}[/itex] is valid for all values of [itex]{x}[/itex], I just realized that, :redface:.

Thanks so much for the help: Dick and HallsofIvy.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?