Differential Equation - Find the Constant.

In summary, in this conversation, a student is trying to find the constant C in a calculus problem. The problem is taken from the proof of another problem, and the student is having trouble understanding how the constant C is determined from the given information. Another user explains that since the given equation is true for all values of x, it must also be true for x=0, which leads to the conclusion that C=0. The student then realizes that this value of C is valid for all values of x.
PFStudent
Hey,

1. Homework Statement .
Given,
[tex]
{f(0)} = {0}
[/tex]
[tex]
{{{f}^{\prime}}{(0)}} = {0}
[/tex]

Find the constant [tex]{C}[/tex] for the following and justify,
[tex]
{{\frac {1}{2}}{{\left({f(x)}\right)}^{2}} + {{\left({{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({x}\right)}}\right)}^{2}}} = {C}
[/tex]

2. Homework Equations .
Calculus.

3. The Attempt at a Solution .
This problem is take from the proof of another problem and I follow what they're doing in that proof all except these last lines,
http://d.imagehost.org/0790/line.jpg
I don't get exactly how from: [tex]{{f(0)} = {0}}[/tex] and [tex]{{f^{\prime}{(0)}} = {0}}[/tex]; they're able to determine that the constant is zero ([tex]{{C} = {0}}[/tex]).
How do they determine that?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They put x=0 to determine the constant C, didn't they? But perhaps I don't get the problem, since you didn't really state where all of this stuff is coming from.

Hey,
Dick said:
They put x=0 to determine the constant C, didn't they? But perhaps I don't get the problem, since you didn't really state where all of this stuff is coming from.
This problem is part of another problem I was trying to prove, the proof for that problem is below,
http://d.imagehost.org/0948/Lemma_2_4.jpg

I follow what they're doing in the proof all except these last lines,
http://d.imagehost.org/0790/line.jpg

I don't get exactly how from: [tex]{{f(0)} = {0}}[/tex] and [tex]{{f^{\prime}{(0)}} = {0}}[/tex]; they're able to determine that the constant is zero ([tex]{{C} = {0}}[/tex]).
How do they determine that?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't get what you don't get. If f(x)^2+f'(x)^2=C is a CONSTANT, then f(x)^2+f'(x)^2 has the same value C for ALL values of x. One value of x is 0. So C=f(0)^2+f'(0)^2=0+0. ?

if
[tex]{{\frac {1}{2}}{{\left({f(x)}\right)}^{2}} + {{\left({{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({x}\right)}}\right)} ^{2}}} = {C}[/tex]
for all x, then, in particular, it is true for x= 0 Since f(x)= 0 and f'(x)= 0,
[tex]{{\frac {1}{2}}{{\left({0}\right)}^{2}} + {{\left({{0}}\right)} ^{2}}} = {C}[/tex]
so C must be 0. It's that simple.

Hey,
Dick said:
I still don't get what you don't get. If f(x)^2+f'(x)^2=C is a CONSTANT, then f(x)^2+f'(x)^2 has the same value C for ALL values of x. One value of x is 0. So C=f(0)^2+f'(0)^2=0+0. ?
Ahh, right...that is right. That is, given any function of [itex]{x}[/itex] equal to a constant, than for all values of [itex]{x}[/itex] the result is the same constant.
In other words,
[tex]
{g(x)} = {K}
{,}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
\mbox{for all}
{\textcolor{white}{.}}
{x}
[/tex]
It was the "[tex]{\mbox{for all}{\textcolor{white}{.}}{x}}[/tex]" part that I just now realized, :redface:.
HallsofIvy said:
if
[tex]{{\frac {1}{2}}{{\left({f(x)}\right)}^{2}} + {{\left({{{f}^{\prime}}{\left({x}\right)}}\right)}^{2}}} = {C}[/tex]
for all x, then, in particular, it is true for x= 0 Since f(x)= 0 and f'(x)= 0,
[tex]{{\frac{1}{2}}{{\left({0}\right)}^{2}} + {{\left({{0}}\right)}^{2}}} = {C}[/tex]
so C must be 0. It's that simple.
Right, and that value of [itex]{C}[/itex] is valid for all values of [itex]{x}[/itex], I just realized that, :redface:.

Thanks so much for the help: Dick and HallsofIvy.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:

FAQ: Differential Equation - Find the Constant.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions and their derivatives. It describes the rate of change of a quantity over time or space.

2. Why is finding the constant important in differential equations?

The constant in a differential equation represents a value that remains unchanged throughout the equation. It is important to find the constant in order to solve the equation and understand the behavior of the system being modeled.

3. How do you find the constant in a differential equation?

The constant can be found by using the initial conditions of the problem. These conditions provide specific values for the variables in the equation, allowing the constant to be determined.

4. What is the role of the constant in the solution of a differential equation?

The constant is used to create a family of solutions for the differential equation. It allows for multiple solutions that satisfy the equation and can be used to model different scenarios or initial conditions.

5. Can you have multiple constants in a differential equation?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple constants in a differential equation. Each constant represents a different parameter or condition in the system being modeled.

Back