Differential equation for an LCR circuit

In summary: So we can add the voltages, we just have to remember that they have opposite signs. Thank you very muchIn summary, the process of finding the differential equation for Q(t) involves using Kirchoff's voltage rule and considering the voltage drops across the different elements in the circuit. In this case, the voltage drops across the resistor and inductor are subtracted from the voltage across the capacitor due to the direction of the current flow. This leads to the correct differential equation, which is E-Q/C-LdI/dt=0. It is important to remember the sign convention for adding voltages in this context.
pondzo

Homework Statement

LCR series circuit.PNG

Find the differential equation that Q(t) satisfies.

2. Relevent equations

Kirchoffs loop law and voltage across a capacitor, resistor and inductor.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I'm thinking, by Kirchoffs voltage rule, that the sum of the voltages in this circuit must add to zero. So the voltage across the capacitor will be equal to the sum of the voltage drops of the other two elements:

[itex] \frac{Q}{C} = \frac{dQ}{dt}R + \frac{d^2Q}{dt^2}L [/itex]

A friend of mine, who is always right, tells me that the differential equation should be;

[itex] \frac{Q}{C} + \frac{dQ}{dt}R + \frac{d^2Q}{dt^2}L = 0 [/itex]

I know my DE is wrong, but why is mine wrong, and his right?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note: Fixed the LaTeX in your two equations. Each one was missing a }.
pondzo said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 74205

2. Relevent equations

[/B]
So I'm thinking, by Kirchoffs voltage rule, that the sum of the voltages in this circuit must add to zero. So the voltage across the capacitor will be equal to the sum of the voltage drops of the other two elements:

[itex] \frac{Q}{C} = \frac{dQ}{dt}R + \frac{d^2Q}{dt^2}L [/itex]

A friend of mine, who is always right, tells me that the differential equation should be;

Thank you.
From what you wrote, "the sum of the voltages in this circuit must add to zero."
Your equation can be rewritten as
##\frac{Q}{C} - \frac{dQ}{dt}R - \frac{d^2Q}{dt^2}L = 0##, so you are subtracting the voltages across the resistor and coil from the voltage across the capacitor.

pondzo said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 74205

2. Relevent equations

[/B]

[itex] \frac{Q}{C} = \frac{dQ}{dt} R + \frac{d^2 Q}{dt^2} L [/itex]

Thank you.

You are right, that the potential drop across the resistor is RI and across the inductor is LdI/dt. But I = - dQ/dt as Q decreases as the capacitor is discharged.

ehild

Thank you Mark44. Okay that makes sense, but then in this question why can we write;
## \varepsilon = \frac{Q}{C} + R\frac{dQ}{dt} ## but we cannot write ## \varepsilon + \frac{Q}{C} + R\frac{dQ}{dt} = 0 ## ?
blblblblblblbl.PNG

blablablalbbal.PNG

ehild said:
You are right, that the potential drop across the resistor is RI and across the inductor is LdI/dt. But I = - dQ/dt as Q decreases as the capacitor is discharged.

Ahhhhh, I see. Thank you ehild. However, as naive as my above question may be, i would still appreciate an answer (whenever anyone is ready).

pondzo said:
Thank you Mark44. Okay that makes sense, but then in this question why can we write;
## \varepsilon = \frac{Q}{C} + R\frac{dQ}{dt} ## but we cannot write ## \varepsilon + \frac{Q}{C} + R\frac{dQ}{dt} = 0 ## ?
View attachment 74206
View attachment 74207
##\varepsilon## in the first equation will have the opposite sign of the same symbol in the second equation.

For a much simpler example, 5 = 3 + 2, but it's not true that 5 + 3 + 2 = 0. However, -5 + 3 + 2 = 0 is true.

OK, but why is the sign the opposite in the 2nd equation if by kirchhoffs law, the sum of the voltages is zero? I know these are all quite stupid questions, i would just like to build a strong intuitiveness for this sort of stuff.

pondzo said:
OK, but why is the sign the opposite in the 2nd equation if by kirchhoffs law, the sum of the voltages is zero? I know these are all quite stupid questions, i would just like to build a strong intuitiveness for this sort of stuff.
If you add three numbers together, and get zero, then at least one of the numbers has to be negative. Is that what you're struggling with?

Instead of "voltages" work with potentials. Still discussing the first problem, assign zero potential to the bottom wire and assuming that the upper plate of the charged capacitor is positive, follow the current round the circuit and determine the potential at the nodes.

So you have Q/C potential at the upper plate of the capacitor. The current flows clockwise. The potential drops by IR across the resistor, so it is Q/C-IR between the resistor and inductor. It drops again, by LdI/dt, on the inductor, and you arrived back to zero potential. Q/C-IR-LdI/dt = 0. And I=-dQ/dt, as the current flows away from the capacitor, decreasing the charge.

In the second problem, let be the negative terminal of the battery at zero potential. The upper terminal is positive, and its potential is E. The left plate of the capacitor is positive, the right plate is negative, the potential drops by Q/C from left to right across the capacitor.So the potential is E-Q/C on the right plate. Then the current flows through the inductor and causes potential drop LdI/dt from right to left. At the left end of the inductor, the potential is E-Q/C-LdI/t and you are back at the negative terminal of the battery, where the potential is zero. So
E-Q/C-LdI/dt=0.
In that circuit, the charge is increased by the current, so I=dQ/dt.

ehild

Thanks a lot ehild and mark 44, I understand it a lot better now!

Related to Differential equation for an LCR circuit

What is a differential equation for an LCR circuit?

A differential equation for an LCR (inductor-capacitor-resistor) circuit is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the voltage and current in the circuit over time. It takes into account the inductance, capacitance, and resistance of the circuit components.

What is the significance of a differential equation in an LCR circuit?

A differential equation is important in an LCR circuit because it allows us to predict how the voltage and current will change over time in the circuit. This is useful for analyzing and designing electrical circuits.

What are the variables in a differential equation for an LCR circuit?

The variables in a differential equation for an LCR circuit are time, voltage, and current. Time is usually denoted by t, voltage by V, and current by I.

How is a differential equation for an LCR circuit solved?

To solve a differential equation for an LCR circuit, we use mathematical techniques such as integration and differentiation. The solution gives us an equation that describes the behavior of the circuit over time.

Can a differential equation be used to analyze other types of circuits?

Yes, a differential equation can be used to analyze other types of circuits as well. It is a powerful tool in electrical engineering and is commonly used in the analysis of circuits such as RLC (resistor-inductor-capacitor) circuits and RC (resistor-capacitor) circuits.