1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation Roadblock

1. Oct 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the solution of the differential equation yy'(1+x2)-x(1+y2)=0 if y(0)=Sqrt(3)

3. The attempt at a solution

I let y=Sqrt(3) and x=0 and solve for y'.
    Integrate both sides.
    y=x +c
    Plug my points in to find C
    Sqrt(3)=0 +c
    My solution is y=x+Sqrt(3).

Plug x+Sqrt(3) in for y, and 1 for y' into the DE.
    End up with Sqrt(3)=0, so somewhere I went wrong.
    Any help appreciated, Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

You are confusing y(0) with y(x). y(0) represents the y-value when x = 0. y(x) represents the y-value for an arbitrary x-value. If you were to plot the graph of y as a function of x, all you know is that the graph goes through (0, sqrt(3)).

In your attempt at a solution, you said:
    How did you get y' = 0? This would have been correct if y(x) = sqrt(3). IOW if the graph of y were a horizontal line sqrt(3) units above the x-axis.

If it were true that y' = 0 (it actually isn't true, though), how did you get y = x + c? If you integrate 0 with respect to x, you don't get x + C.

The DE you are given is a separable DE. That means it is possible to get all of the things that involve y (including dy) on one side, and all of the things that involve x (and dx) on the other side. That's the approach you should take with this problem.
  4. Oct 19, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your help.

I got it now, y=Sqrt( 4x2+3 )

I don't know why I thought the integral of 0 with respect to X was x :rolleyes:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?