Differential equation simplification

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a Computer Science degree involving solving a differential equation using the fourth-order Runge-Kutta method. The equation describes the movement of an object falling towards Earth and needs to be simplified into two first-order equations. The formulas given by fourth-order Runge-Kutta are then applied to find the speed and position of the object, and determine how long it takes for the object to fall. The conversation also provides a tip on splitting the equation into two first-degree equations and using two Runge-Kutta solvers simultaneously.
teplotaxl
Hi guys! It's my first post here... I'm in a Computer Science degree, where courses dealing with differential equations are not mandatory (and I have therefore not completed any), and was asked to solve the following problem using the fourth-order Runge-Kutta method, coded in FORTRAN. I obviously have no difficulties with the latter, but I'm COMPLETELY CLUELESS about the mathematical juggling necessary to simplify the equation I will describe below. Any help will be greatly appreciated! :D

Homework Statement

It is known that all small bodies are attracted towards Earth due to gravitation. To solve the problem, you must simplify the following differential equation and obtain two first-order differential equations. Apply the formulas given by fourth-order Runge-Kutta to find speed y'(t) and position y(t). How long does it take the object to fall?

Homework Equations

The equation that describes the movement of an object falling towards Earth is

[tex]\ddot{y}(t)=-g \frac{R^2}{y^2}[/tex],

where g is gravitational acceleration, and R is the radius of the Earth.

Take [tex]g=\frac{32}{5280}[/tex], [tex]R=4000[/tex] and [tex]H=200000[/tex] (H is the height from which the object will be dropped).

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to integrate both sides of the equation, but cannot obtain a polynomial expression needed to apply RK4.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you need to split it into two first degree equations to apply a numerical method, then let w(t)=y'(t). Your two equations become w'(t)=-g*R^2/y^2 and, uh, y'(t)=w(t).

Last edited:
Hahaha I can't believe the simplicity! I had been trying some exponential stuff... with no result. Thank you very much. I'll try this and post back.

Now that you have two first order equations, run two Runge-Kutta solvers simultaneously, using the values from both at each step.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves variables, their derivatives, and constants, and is used to model various physical, biological, and economic phenomena.

Why is it important to simplify a differential equation?

Simplifying a differential equation helps to make it easier to understand and solve. It can also reveal important patterns and relationships that may not be apparent in a more complex form.

What are some common techniques for simplifying a differential equation?

There are several techniques for simplifying a differential equation, including substitution, integration, and separation of variables. These techniques involve manipulating the equation to reduce it to a simpler form that is easier to solve.

What are the benefits of using technology to simplify a differential equation?

Technology, such as computer software, can be used to automate the process of simplifying differential equations. This can save time and reduce the chances of human error. It can also handle more complex equations that may be difficult to simplify by hand.

Are there any limitations to simplifying a differential equation?

While simplification can make a differential equation easier to understand and solve, it may also result in losing some information or accuracy. It is important to consider the purpose of simplifying the equation and to ensure that the simplified form is still relevant and useful for the problem at hand.