Differential equation using complex exponentials

In summary, the conversation discusses finding three independent solutions to the differential equation \frac{d^3}{dt^3}f(t) + f(t) = 0 using complex exponentials and expressing the solutions in real form. One possible approach is to use the equations sin\theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} - e^{-i\theta}}{2i} and cos\theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta}}{2} and try a solution of the form f(t) = A sin (theta) + B cos (theta) where A and B can be solved for by differentiating and solving for the constants.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

Find three independent solutions to the differential equation
[itex]\frac{d^3}{dt^3}[/itex]f(t) + f(t) = 0
You should use complex exponentials to derive the solutions, but express the results in real
form.

Homework Equations

[itex]sin\theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} - e^{-i\theta}}{2i}[/itex]
[itex]cos\theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure what to do.. please help
I copy notes in class, tried to read the chapter but I don't see anything that helps me get the question

Physics news on Phys.org
someone?

I would recommend trying a solution of the form f(t) = A sin (theta) + B cos (theta) where you can replace the sin and cos with the relevant equations.

Once you establish the function then differentiate and solve for your A and B.

1. What is a differential equation using complex exponentials?

A differential equation using complex exponentials is a type of differential equation that includes complex numbers and exponential functions. These equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with oscillatory behavior.

2. How is a complex exponential defined?

A complex exponential is defined as eix, where e is Euler's number and i is the imaginary unit. This can also be written as cos(x) + i(sin(x)), where cos(x) and sin(x) are trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between a real and a complex exponential?

A real exponential is defined as ex, where x is a real number. This means that the base, e, and the exponent, x, are both real numbers. In contrast, a complex exponential has a complex number, i, as the exponent.

4. How are complex exponentials used in solving differential equations?

Complex exponentials are used in solving differential equations because they can simplify the mathematical calculations. They can also help to find the general solution of the differential equation, which can then be used to find specific solutions for different initial conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations using complex exponentials?

Differential equations using complex exponentials have many real-world applications, including in electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in modeling physical systems such as oscillating circuits and vibrating structures.