Differential equation partial fractions

In summary, to find x as a function of t, we use the equation \frac{dx}{(a-x)(b-x)} = kdt and integrate by partial fractions, taking into account the initial condition. However, when a=b, this method does not work and we must either take the limit or integrate again using the knowledge that a=b.
courtrigrad
Given that [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = k(a-x)(b-x) [/tex]:

(a) Assuming [tex] a \neq b [/tex], find [tex] x [/tex] as a function of [tex] t [/tex]. Use the fact that the initial concentration of [tex] C [/tex] is 0.
(b) Find [tex] x(t) [/tex] assuming that [tex] a = b [/tex]. How does this expression for [tex] x(t) [/tex] simplify if it is known that [tex] [C] = \frac{a}{2} [/tex] after 20 seconds.

(a): So [tex] \frac{dx}{(a-x)(b-x)} = kdt [/tex]. After integrating by partial fractions and using the initial condition, I got [tex] x(t) = \frac{a-abe^{akt-bkt}}{1-\frac{a}{b}e^{akt-bkt}} [/tex].

(b). When I set [tex] a = b [/tex] I got an undefined expression, leading me to believe that part(a) is incorrect.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just set a=b, you have to take the limit. Alternatively, go back and integrate again with the knowledge that a=b. This will change how the partial fractions expansion goes.

If a= b the method you used to solve the equation assuming a [itex]\ne[/itex] b does not work. Go back to the original equation, set a= b, and solve again.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to model and describe various physical phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to simplify a rational expression by breaking it down into smaller fractions. This is done by decomposing the original fraction into simpler fractions that have a common denominator.

3. How are differential equations solved using partial fractions?

In order to solve a differential equation using partial fractions, the equation must first be converted into a rational expression. Then, the rational expression can be simplified using partial fractions. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating the simpler fractions.

4. What are the advantages of using partial fractions in solving differential equations?

Using partial fractions in solving differential equations allows for the equation to be broken down into smaller, simpler fractions. This makes the equation easier to solve and can also help to identify patterns and relationships within the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fractions in solving differential equations?

Partial fractions can only be used to solve certain types of differential equations, specifically those that can be converted into rational expressions. Additionally, the process of finding the partial fractions can be time-consuming and may not always result in a solution.