1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation

1. Sep 26, 2006 #1
    Given that [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = k(a-x)(b-x) [/tex]:

(a) Assuming [tex] a \neq b [/tex], find [tex] x [/tex] as a function of [tex] t [/tex]. Use the fact that the initial concentration of [tex] C [/tex] is 0.
    (b) Find [tex] x(t) [/tex] assuming that [tex] a = b [/tex]. How does this expression for [tex] x(t) [/tex] simplify if it is known that [tex] [C] = \frac{a}{2} [/tex] after 20 seconds.

(a): So [tex] \frac{dx}{(a-x)(b-x)} = kdt [/tex]. After integrating by partial fractions and using the initial condition, I got [tex] x(t) = \frac{a-abe^{akt-bkt}}{1-\frac{a}{b}e^{akt-bkt}} [/tex].

(b). When I set [tex] a = b [/tex] I got an undefined expression, leading me to believe that part(a) is incorrect.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You can't just set a=b, you have to take the limit. Alternatively, go back and integrate again with the knowledge that a=b. This will change how the partial fractions expansion goes.

4. Sep 27, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a= b the method you used to solve the equation assuming a [itex]\ne[/itex] b does not work. Go back to the original equation, set a= b, and solve again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?