Solving dy/dx = y+x: General Equation & Substitution Method

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general equation of a differential equation with the given form of dy/dx=y+x. The conversation suggests trying different substitutions, such as u=x+y, and also mentions the possibility of using linear or constant coefficient equations.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

Find the general equation of differential equation dy/dx=y+x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don see a way to separate the variables. What substitution should i use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I only see three possible choices for a function in your equation: x, y, or x+y

Office_Shredder said:

sorry but i don get what u meant

thereddevils said:

I think Office_Shredder means you should look at the equation and take a guess at what might be a good substitution. What might work?

Failing that, you could try an integrating factor of e^{-x}

Office_Shredder said:

thereddevils said:
You said you were looking for a substitution! It wouldn't do much good to let u= x or u= y, would it? So what if u= x+ y?

thereddevils said:

Homework Statement

Find the general equation of differential equation dy/dx=y+x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don see a way to separate the variables. What substitution should i use?

Substitution?? Have you studied linear equations or constant coefficient equations yet?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rates of change of a dependent variable to its independent variables. It describes how a quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables.

2. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology, to model and analyze various phenomena. They are also used to solve problems in areas like fluid dynamics, population growth, and electrical circuits.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integral equations. Often, computer software is also used to numerically solve differential equations.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Partial differential equations are commonly used to describe physical systems with multiple variables, such as temperature, pressure, and velocity.

5. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They allow scientists to model real-world phenomena and make predictions about future events. Many scientific laws and theories, such as Newton's laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics, are expressed in the form of differential equations.