Solving a Differential Equation with Integrating Factors

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution to a first order linear differential equation. The student has attempted to solve it but has not been successful. A suggestion is made to try a particular solution and solve the homogeneous equation. The student is unsure of how to proceed and asks if there is an easier method. The concept of integrating factors is mentioned as a potential solution.
CalculusHelp1

Homework Statement

Find the solution to (x+1)y' +2y -(x+1)^(5/2)=0

Homework Equations

Definiton of antiderivative

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been trying to manipulate this equation in every possible way so that I can get x on one side and y on the other. Ever attempt has led to a dead end. I tried to factor the (x+1) terms, tried to carry things over to the other side, nothing is working.

Can anyone give me a nod in the right direction so I can tackle this problem? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For a particular solution, you might try

[tex] y_p = a (x+1)^b,[/tex]

where there's an obvious guess for [tex]b[/tex] if you think a bit before doing any calculations. Otherwise, plug this in and see what values of [tex]b[/tex] and [tex]a[/tex] solve the equation.

To get the full solution, you also have to solve the homogeneous equation

[tex](x+1)y' +2y =0[/tex]

which will give you a function [tex]y_h(x)[/tex]. The general solution to the original equation is [tex]y=y_h + y_p[/tex].

Multiply by (x+1), then notice that:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left((x+1)^2y\right)=(x+1)^2y'+2(x+1)y[/tex]

Okay this problem might be over my head. I've only just learned first order linear differential equations and solving them by separation of variables.

Is there any easier way to do this?

CalculusHelp1 said:
Okay this problem might be over my head. I've only just learned first order linear differential equations and solving them by separation of variables.

Is there any easier way to do this?

Have you learned about integrating factors?

No, what are those?

CalculusHelp1 said:
No, what are those?

I could give a reasonably good answer, but Paul of Paul's Online Math Notes does a better job. Just Google : "integrating factors, pauls online math notes"

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find a function that satisfies the equation and accurately models a real-world phenomenon. This allows scientists to make predictions and analyze the behavior of systems.

What are the types of differential equations?

The two main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations (ODEs), which involve a single independent variable, and partial differential equations (PDEs), which involve multiple independent variables.

What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model population growth, fluid dynamics, electrical circuits, and many other phenomena.

What methods are used to solve differential equations?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods. The appropriate method depends on the type and complexity of the equation.