Differential equations, I can't understand a textbook example.

In summary, to find the recurrence relation and general term for the solution of the given equation, y'' - xy' - y = 0 with x0 = 1, you can expand the solution as a series around xo=1 and change the dummy indices in different sums to have the same powers. The recurrence relation obtained is {(n+1)(n+2)an+2 -(n)an -an=0}.
itunescape

Homework Statement

Find the recurrence relation and the general term for the solution:
y'' - xy' - y = 0 xo=1

Homework Equations

y= sum (n=0 to infinity) an (x-1)^n

The Attempt at a Solution

i get:

y= sum (n=0 to infinity) an x^n
y'= sum (n=0 to infinity) (n+1)an+1 (x-1)^n
y'' = sum (n=0 to infinity) (n+2)(n+1)an+2(x-1)^n

here all of the sums start at zero and the powers of (x-1) all are n, but within the orginal equation there is an +and this is where the textbook doesn't make sense:
the book sets x= 1+ (x-1). Why do you do this? i don't understand.

I thought that: xy' = sum (n=0 to infinity) (n+1) an+1 (x-1)^n+1
but I'm not sure what to do from here...bc the indexes and powers need to be the same before calculating the recurrence relation right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you using [itex]y = \sum a_n (x-1)^n[/itex] as opposed to [itex]y = \sum a_n x^n[/itex]? If you just use x^n instead of (x-1)^n, you get

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n(n+1)a_n x^{n-2} - x\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n n x^{n-1} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n = 0[/tex]

In the second term you multiply the x through to get x^n in the sum. You then have two sums with x^n and one with x^{n-2}. So, you change dummy indices in the first summation to get it to be x^n as well. Do you know how to do that?

There may be a reason for using (x-1) instead, such as if for some reason the series doesn't converge well for x < 0 or something. In that case,

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n(n+1)a_n (x-1)^{n-2} - x\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n n (x-1)^{n-1} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n (x-1)^n = 0[/tex]

In this case, you want the (x-1)^(n-1) in the second term to absorb the factor of x out front of it, but you can't do this directly as you have x(x-1)^(n-1), whereas in the above example I wrote you have x x^(n-1) = x^n. So, instead you write x = 1 + (x-1)so that you can multiply that into the second term to get one term that still looks like (x-1)^(n-1) and another that looks like (x-1)^n:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n(n+1)a_n (x-1)^{n-2} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n n (x-1)^{n-1} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n n (x-1)^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n (x-1)^n = 0[/tex]

Now you can do the usual business of shifting indices to get your series in terms of powers of (x-1).

Last edited:
itunescape said:

Homework Statement

Find the recurrence relation and the general term for the solution:
y'' - xy' - y = 0 xo=1
Do you mean y(0)= 1 or are you specifically asked to find a series solution expanded around x0= 1?

Homework Equations

y= sum (n=0 to infinity) an (x-1)^n

The Attempt at a Solution

i get:

y= sum (n=0 to infinity) an x^n
If you want an expansion about x0= 1, then you mean (x-1)n.

y'= sum (n=0 to infinity) (n+1)an+1 (x-1)^n
y'' = sum (n=0 to infinity) (n+2)(n+1)an+2(x-1)^n

here all of the sums start at zero and the powers of (x-1) all are n, but within the orginal equation there is an +and this is where the textbook doesn't make sense:
the book sets x= 1+ (x-1). Why do you do this? i don't understand.
You do understand that x does equal 1+ (x-1) don't you? And they do this because in the xy you need to to have (x-1) to multiply into the sum.

I thought that: xy' = sum (n=0 to infinity) (n+1) an+1 (x-1)^n+1
Why would you think that?
[tex]x y'= x\sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+1)a_n (x-1)^n= \sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+1)a_n x(x-1)^n[/tex]
of course- you can't multiply x times (x-1)n and get (x-1)n+1!
but I'm not sure what to do from here...bc the indexes and powers need to be the same before calculating the recurrence relation right?
Change the "dummy indices" in the different sums so that you have the same powers.

Thank you guys for helping me clarify what I've been doing wrong.
The series needs to be expanded around xo=1 so it becomes (x-1) from (x-xo).
I've tried doing the work over again and this is what i obtained:

y=sum (n=0 to infinity) an (x-1)^n
y= ao+a1(x-1)+a2(x-1)^2+a3(x-1)^3...an(x-1)^n

y'= sum(n=1 to infinity) n*an (x-1)^n-1
y'=a1+ 2a2(x-1)+3a3(x-1)^2...n*an(x-1)^n-1

(x-1)y'= sum(n=1 to infinity) n*an (x-1)^n
(x-1)y'= a1(x-1)+ 2a2(x-1)^2+ 3a3(x-1)^3...n*an (x-1)^n

y''= sum(n=2 to infinity) (n-1)(n)*an (x-1)^n-2
y''= 2a2+3a3(x-1)+...(n-1)(n)*an (x-1)^n-2
y''= sum(n=0 to infinity) (n+1)(n+2) an+2 (x-1)^n

I need to add up the sums to try and get a recurrence, but i have to change the indexes to n=1 so:

y= ao + sum(n=1 to infinity) an (x-1)^n
y''= 2a2 + sum(n=1 to infinity) (n+1)(n+2)an+2(x-1)^n

2a2 + ao=0
recurrence:
{ (n+1)(n+2)an+2 -(n)an -an=0}

Is all this right so far? the textbook has the recurrence as:
{(n+2)an+2 -an+1 -an=0}
is it suppose to be written this way?

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and analyze complex systems in science, engineering, and mathematics.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding how systems change over time. They are used in a wide range of fields, such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering, to study and predict the behavior of complex systems.

3. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. This means that partial differential equations are more complex and require different methods for solving them.

4. How can I understand a textbook example of a differential equation?

The best way to understand a textbook example of a differential equation is to break it down into smaller parts and work through each step carefully. It is also helpful to practice solving similar problems and to seek help from a tutor or instructor if needed.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have countless real-world applications, including modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, analyzing stock market trends, and designing complex engineering systems. They are also used in many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics.