Differential equations origin graph

In summary: So for the first graph, the slope is different from 1+(y0)^4 at x=0 so it cannot be a solution. For the second graph, the slope is the same as 1+(y0)^4 at x=0 so it can be a solution. Which graph is it?The first graph is not a solution. The second graph is a solution.
helix999
will the graph of the solution to the differential equation dy/dx=1+y^4 pass through origin?

My solution graph is not passing through origin. If it should pass, then how?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your solution and how did you get it? This is a separable DE, but the after it is separated, the resulting integral is not an obvious one.

Yes it is a separable one.

dy/(1+y^4) = dx

my solution was 1/2(sqrt(2)) tan inverse [(y^2-1)/(root2)y] - 1/4(root2) log [(y^2+1-(root2)y)/(y^2+1+(root2)y)] = x + c

I guess this graph will not pass through origin because we don't know value of c, so at x=0 how can we find the value of y?

mutiply & divide by 2
1/2 (2/(1+y^4))

add & subtract y^2 and separate in 2 integrals
1/2 (y^2+1/(y^4+1)) dx - 1/2 (y^2-1/(y^4+1)) dx

taking y^2 common from numerator & denominator and cancelling it, we will get the integrals in the form of dx/x^2+a^2 and dx/x^2-a^2 , by using their respective formulas i got the above solution.

I think you need to reread the question! There is no such thing as "the" solution to a differential equation so it makes no sense to ask if the graph of "the" solution passes through the origin. You are correct that the general solution contains an unknown constant "c". It does NOT then follow that "the graph will not pass through origin because we don't know value of c". Not knowing the value of c means we do not know if it passes through the origin or not.

helix999 said:
mutiply & divide by 2
1/2 (2/(1+y^4))

add & subtract y^2 and separate in 2 integrals
1/2 (y^2+1/(y^4+1)) dx - 1/2 (y^2-1/(y^4+1)) dx

taking y^2 common from numerator & denominator and cancelling it, we will get the integrals in the form of dx/x^2+a^2 and dx/x^2-a^2 , by using their respective formulas i got the above solution.
This makes no sense at all. I accept that you really mean "dy" and not "dx" but still- once you have [itex](y^2+ 1)/(y^4+1)- (y^2-1)/(y^4+ 1)[/itex] what do you mean by "taking y2 common from numerator and denominator and cancelling it? There is no common factor of y2 to cancel. Surely you don't think that
[tex]\frac{y^2+ 1}{y^4+ 1}= \frac{1}{y^2+ 1}[/tex]
by "cancelling" y2!

The question I have is

Which graph most closely represents the graph of a solution to the differential equation dy/dx=1+y^4?

I have 5 graphs as options. I have doubt in two. Both are same except one is passing thru origin & the other is not. The correct answer is the graph which is passing through origin.

HallsofIvy said:
This makes no sense at all. I accept that you really mean "dy" and not "dx" but still- once you have [itex](y^2+ 1)/(y^4+1)- (y^2-1)/(y^4+ 1)[/itex] what do you mean by "taking y2 common from numerator and denominator and cancelling it? There is no common factor of y2 to cancel. Surely you don't think that
[tex]\frac{y^2+ 1}{y^4+ 1}= \frac{1}{y^2+ 1}[/tex]
by "cancelling" y2!

I meant:

1/2 [y^2(1+1/y^2)/y^2(y^2+1/y^2)] dy - 1/2 [y^2(1-1/y^2)/y^2(y^2+1/y^2)] dy

and then we can write y^2+1/y^2 remaining in the denominator as (y-1/y)^2 + (sqrt(2))^2 for the first integral and (y+1/y)^2-(sqrt(2))^2 for the second integral.

And then we can substitute y-1/y as t in the first integral to solve integral and y+1/y as u to solve the second integral so that they will fit into the given formulas.

You're probably not even required to solve the DE...I'm guessing that for each graph, you are supposed to compare the approximate slope of the graph (dy/dx)≈(Δy/Δx) to 1+(y0)^4 at certain points (x0,y0) along the graph...if you find points where (dy/dx) is drastically different from 1+(y0)^4 then you know that it cannot be a Solution of the DE.

gabbagabbahey said:
You're probably not even required to solve the DE...I'm guessing that for each graph, you are supposed to compare the approximate slope of the graph (dy/dx)≈(Δy/Δx) to 1+(y0)^4 at certain points (x0,y0) along the graph...if you find points where (dy/dx) is drastically different from 1+(y0)^4 then you know that it cannot be a Solution of the DE.

Fine...i got it.

1. What is the origin of differential equations?

The origin of differential equations can be traced back to the 17th century, when mathematicians such as Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz developed the concepts of calculus to solve problems related to motion and change. Differential equations emerged as a way to mathematically model and solve these problems.

2. What is the purpose of graphing differential equations?

Graphing differential equations allows us to visualize the behavior of a system or process over time. It helps us understand how different variables are related and how they change in response to one another. This can provide valuable insights and predictions for various real-world applications.

3. How are differential equations used in science and engineering?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of scientific and engineering fields, including physics, biology, chemistry, economics, and more. They are used to model and understand complex systems and processes, and to make predictions about their behavior. They are also used to design and control systems, such as in the fields of robotics and control theory.

4. What are some common applications of differential equations?

Some common applications of differential equations include predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, determining the motion of objects under the influence of forces, calculating the rate of chemical reactions, and designing electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there different types of differential equations?

Yes, there are various types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). These types differ based on the number of independent variables, the order of the equation, and the presence of stochastic (random) terms. Each type has its own set of techniques for solving and analyzing them.