Differential Geometry and geodesics

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a curve C on a surface S. It is shown that if C is a line of curvature and a geodesic, then it is a plane curve. It is also shown that if a geodesic is a plane curve, then it is a line of curvature. The conversation also considers vector fields along a curve and how to compute their covariant derivative. Finally, it explores the properties of the parallels on a torus of revolution, including which ones are geodesic, asymptotic, and lines of curvature, and how to compute the geodesic curvature of the upper parallel.
InbredDummy
1)
a. Show that if a curve C is a line of curvature and a geodesic then C is a plane curve.
-
Pf.
Let a(s) be a parameterization of C by arc length (which I'm assuming always exists). then C is a geodesic if the covariant derivative of a(s) with respect to s is 0. We also know that if C is a geodesic, then the principal normal at each point on the curve C is parallel to the normal to S at p.

C is a line of curvature, therefore the tangent line of C is a principal direction at p. We also know that a necessary sufficient for C to be a line of curvature is that N'(s) = k(s)*a'(s), where -k(s) is the principal curvature along a'(s).

So I'm guessing i have everything I need to prove that C is a plane curve? but i don't see what it means to be a plane curve.

So I'm really asking, what conditions need to be met for C to be a plane curve? For a plane curve, the gaussian curvature is identically zero, ie the eigenvalues of the differential of the gauss map are both 0?

Need some serious conceptual guidance.

(b) Show that if a (nonrectilinear) geodesic is a plane curve, then it is a line of curvature.
Pf.

Lost again.

2. Let v and w be vector fields along a curve a: I --> S (where S is our surface).

Prove that
d/dt <v(t), w(t)> = <Dv(t)/dt, w(t)> + <v(t), Dw(t)/dt> where Dv/dt is the covariant derivative.

Pf.

I know that in general,
d/dt <v(t), w(t)> = <dv(t)/dt, w(t)> + <v(t), dw(t)/dt>

But I can't get much more than that again.

3. Consider the torus of revolution generated by rotating the circle
(x-a)^2 + z^2 = r^2, y=0, about the z-axis (a > r > 0). The parallels generated by the points (a+r,0), (a-r, 0), (a,r) are called the maximum parallel, the minimum parallel and the upper parallel, respectively Check which of these parallels is
a) A geodesic
b) an asymptotic curve
c) a line of curvature

-
So for this one, I just compute the covariant derivative at the points?

4. Compute the geodesic curvature of the upper parallel of the torus.

thanks guys, I am so lost on this material. differential geometry really isn't my strong point

Physics news on Phys.org
anything guys? i really don't get this material, please help!

1. What is Differential Geometry?

Differential Geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using tools from calculus and linear algebra. It involves the study of geometric objects and their properties such as distance, curvature, and shape.

2. What are geodesics in Differential Geometry?

Geodesics are the shortest paths between two points on a surface or in a space. In Differential Geometry, they are defined as the curves that have zero acceleration, or the curves that minimize the length between two points.

3. How are geodesics useful in real-world applications?

Geodesics have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, for example, in GPS navigation systems or in the design of optimal transportation routes.

4. What is the importance of curvature in Differential Geometry?

Curvature is a fundamental concept in Differential Geometry, as it measures the amount of bending or deviation from a straight line on a curve or surface. It is used to understand the shape and properties of geometric objects, and it plays a crucial role in fields such as relativity, cosmology, and differential equations.

5. What are some key theorems in Differential Geometry?

Some of the key theorems in Differential Geometry include the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, which relates the curvature of a surface to its topology, and the fundamental theorem of surface theory, which states that any surface can be locally represented as a graph of two functions. Other important theorems include the Gauss-Codazzi equations, the Ricci curvature theorem, and the Cartan-Hadamard theorem.