Differential Geometry, curve length

In summary, the conversation is about finding the length of a curve using the formula L[c] and the given equations for c1'(t) and c2'(t). The attempt at a solution involves simplifying the equation and using a given identity, but there is confusion about the use of sin(t) and cos(t). The solution in the text and the given hint differ, causing confusion for the speaker.
Stimpon

Homework Statement

paonb.png

Homework Equations

[itex]L[c]:=\int_{a}^{b}(\sum_{i,j=1}^{2}g_{ij}(c(t))c_{i}'(t)c_{j}'(t))^{1/2}dt[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So [itex]g_{ij}(x,y)=0[/itex] for [itex]i{\neq}j[/itex], [itex]c_{1}'(t)=-Rsin(t)[/itex], [itex]c_{2}'(t)=Rcos(t)[/itex]

so [itex]L[c]:=\int_{a}^{b}(\frac{1}{((Rsin(t))^{2}}R^{2}(sin^{2}(t)+cos^{2}(t))^{1/2}dt=\int_{a}^{b}\frac{1}{sin(t)}dt[/itex]

However the solutions has

[itex]L[c]:=\int_{a}^{b}(\frac{1}{((Rcos(t))^{2}}R^{2}(sin^{2}(t)+cos^{2}(t))^{1/2}dt=\int_{a}^{b}\frac{1}{cos(t)}dt[/itex]

and he then goes on to use the given identity to find an antiderivative for [itex]\frac{1}{cost}[/itex]

but I don't see how he has cost where I have sint.

Is he making a mistake or am I?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder how come the hint is right but the solution in the text isn't.

Related to Differential Geometry, curve length

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in a multi-dimensional space. It uses techniques from calculus and linear algebra to analyze the curvature, length, and other geometric properties of these objects.

2. What is a curve in differential geometry?

A curve in differential geometry is a one-dimensional object that can be described as a continuous mapping of a real number to a point in a multi-dimensional space. It can be represented as a parametric equation or as a set of coordinates in a coordinate system.

3. How is curve length calculated in differential geometry?

Curve length is calculated using the arc length formula, which takes into account the infinitesimal changes in position along the curve. It involves taking the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the curve's coordinates with respect to the parameter.

4. What is the significance of curve length in differential geometry?

Curve length is an important concept in differential geometry as it is used to measure the distance between two points along a curve. It also helps determine the curvature of the curve and can be used in various applications, such as calculating the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface.

5. How is differential geometry applied in real-world scenarios?

Differential geometry has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to study the shape of objects and surfaces, model the movement of particles and fluids, and design curved structures such as bridges and roller coasters. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D images and animations.