Is t(s) perpendicular to the radius of the surface sphere at point γ(s)?

In summary, we are trying to prove that the vector t(s), which is the derivative of the parameterized curve γ(s), is perpendicular to the radius of the surface sphere at point γ(s). By differentiating the dot product of γ(s) with itself, we can show that t(s) and γ(s) are perpendicular, and therefore t(s) is also perpendicular to the radius of the sphere. This is because γ(s) is both a point on the surface of the sphere and a vector, and t(s) is a vector that is parallel to the tangent line of the curve at point γ(s).
ParisSpart
whether γ=γ(s):I->R^3 curve parameterized as to arc length (single speed). Assume that γ is the surface sphere centered on the origin (0,0). Prove that the vector t(s) is perpendicular to the radius of the sphere at point γ(s), for each s.

i know that t(s)=γ΄(s) but i don't know how to continue to prove it , maybe i don't have undrstand the problem on how to show that t(s) is vertical on the radius of sphere

Physics news on Phys.org
Since ##\gamma(s)## is on the surface of the sphere, you know
[tex]<\gamma(s),\gamma(s)> = 1[/tex]
Now differentiate both sides.

i do not have any other information... for γ(s)

As was mentioned before, if ##\gamma## is on the surface of a sphere that means that
\begin{equation*}
\gamma(t) \cdot \gamma(t) = |\gamma(t)|^2 = \text{ constant}.
\end{equation*}
Then you should differentiate both sides with respect to ##t##.

with this i show that t(s) is perpendicular on the radius of the sphere? we do not use any radius r

ParisSpart said:
with this i show that t(s) is perpendicular on the radius of the sphere? we do not use any radius r

What does the vector ##\gamma(s)## look like?

i think γ(s) is our curve and vector is t(s)=γ΄(s)

ParisSpart said:
i think γ(s) is our curve and vector is t(s)=γ΄(s)

Well, as you wrote yourself, ##\gamma : [0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3##. So ##\gamma(s) \in \mathbb{R}^3##. A point in ##\mathbb{R}^3## is also a vector. Don't you agree?

yes its my fault , γ(s) is a vector..

if i differentiate i will find γ'(s)=0

ParisSpart said:
if i differentiate i will find γ'(s)=0

That is not correct. Differentiate ##\gamma(s) \cdot \gamma(s) = c## again. Remember the product rule.

2γ(s)γ'(s)=0 but what i will do next?

ParisSpart said:
2γ(s)γ'(s)=0 but what i will do next?

So the dot product is zero, what does that mean?

γ(s) and γ'(s) are perpendicular , but we want t(s) to be perpendicular with radius.

Quesadilla said:
What does the vector ##\gamma(s)## look like?

Think about this.

i am thinking it but i can't find any answer , its a radious? if yes why?

ParisSpart said:
i am thinking it but i can't find any answer , its a radious? if yes why?

Well, ##\gamma(s)## is a point on the surface of the sphere, but it is also a vector, right? What would that vector be? Try drawing it, if you are still unsure.

and because t(s)=γ'(s) and γ(s) ιs radious t(s) is perpendicular on γ(s)?

ParisSpart said:
and because t(s)=γ'(s) and γ(s) ιs radious t(s) is perpendicular on γ(s)?

Yes.

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves, surfaces, and other geometric objects using techniques from calculus and linear algebra. It also explores the properties of space and the way objects move and interact in that space.

How is differential geometry applied in real life?

Differential geometry has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and even economics. For example, it is used to model the motion of objects in space, to design optimal paths for vehicles, and to create realistic 3D animations in movies and video games.

What are some key concepts in differential geometry?

Some key concepts in differential geometry include curves, surfaces, manifolds, tensors, and Riemannian geometry. Curves are one-dimensional objects that can be described using parametric equations, while surfaces are two-dimensional objects that can be described using parametric or implicit equations. Manifolds are abstract spaces that locally resemble Euclidean space. Tensors are mathematical objects that represent geometric quantities such as length, area, and volume. Riemannian geometry is the branch of differential geometry that deals with curved spaces.

What is the difference between differential geometry and Euclidean geometry?

While Euclidean geometry deals with flat, two-dimensional spaces, differential geometry studies curved, higher-dimensional spaces. Additionally, Euclidean geometry uses axioms and theorems to prove geometric properties, while differential geometry uses calculus and linear algebra to study the properties of curved spaces.

What are some real-world applications of Riemannian geometry?

Riemannian geometry has many applications in physics, particularly in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is also used in computer vision and image processing, as well as in machine learning and data analysis. Additionally, Riemannian geometry is used in finance and economics to model and analyze complex systems and markets.