Differentiation of Quotients and Higher Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discussed two problems involving finding the gradient of a curve and the second derivative of a function. There was some confusion over the first derivative calculation, but the correct answer was later given. The conversation also mentioned a resource for improving typing equations on a computer.
Aichuk
1) The line 2x+9=3 meets curve xy+y+2=0 at the points P and Q. Calculate the gradient of the curve at P and Q

2)Given that [itex]y=(x^2)/(x-2)[/itex], find
a) [itex](d^2)y/dx^2[/itex] in its simplest form
b)ther range of value for which [itex]dy/dx[/itex] and [itex](d^2)y/dx^2[/itex] are positive.

I can't figure out either of the sums. For the first one I got the answer -1/11 & -44/81 (even though the answer page showed 1/2 and 4/81) and the second I couldn't do. Can anyone do them step by step?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the first derivative of ##y=\frac{x^2}{x-2}##

ehild

y=(x^2)-4x/(x-2)^2

Aichuk said:
y=(x^2)-4x/(x-2)^2

How did you get
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \frac{x^2}{x-2} = x^2 - \frac{4x}{(x-1)^2} ? [/tex]
This is obviously wrong.

No, i got [itex]y= \frac{x^2-4x}{(x-2)^2} [/itex]

Aichuk said:
1) The line 2x+9=3 meets curve xy+y+2=0 at the points P and Q. Calculate the gradient of the curve at P and Q
Do you mean "2x+ 9y= 3"? What are P and Q?

2)Given that [itex]y=(x^2)/(x-2)[/itex], find
a) [itex](d^2)y/dx^2[/itex] in its simplest form
b)ther range of value for which [itex]dy/dx[/itex] and [itex](d^2)y/dx^2[/itex] are positive.

I can't figure out either of the sums. For the first one I got the answer -1/11 & -44/81 (even though the answer page showed 1/2 and 4/81) and the second I couldn't do. Can anyone do them step by step?
As Ray Vickson pointed out, you have written the first derivative incorrectly- although you may have calculated it correctly. You have the parentheses in the wrong place and you have the denominator wrong.

Sorry for that, I suck at typing equations on computer.

Aichuk said:
No, i got [itex]y= \frac{x^2-4x}{(x-2)^2} [/itex]
Did you mean ##\frac{dy}{dx}##?ehild

What is the definition of a quotient?

A quotient is the result of dividing one quantity by another quantity.

What is the process for differentiating a quotient?

To differentiate a quotient, you use the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of a quotient is equal to the denominator times the derivative of the numerator minus the numerator times the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the denominator squared.

What are higher derivatives?

Higher derivatives are derivatives that are taken more than once. For example, the second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative, and the third derivative is the derivative of the second derivative.

How do you find higher derivatives of a quotient?

To find the higher derivatives of a quotient, you can use the general pattern for the quotient rule, which is that the nth derivative of a quotient is equal to the sum of all possible products of the nth derivative of the numerator and the (n-1)th derivative of the denominator, all divided by the denominator to the power of n.

Why is understanding differentiation of quotients and higher derivatives important?

Understanding differentiation of quotients and higher derivatives allows us to analyze more complex functions and solve problems related to rates of change and optimization. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many fields of science and engineering.