Differentiation of Quotients and Higher Derivatives

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Aichuk
Messages
29
Reaction score
1
1) The line 2x+9=3 meets curve xy+y+2=0 at the points P and Q. Calculate the gradient of the curve at P and Q

2)Given that [itex]y=(x^2)/(x-2)[/itex], find
a) [itex](d^2)y/dx^2[/itex] in its simplest form
b)ther range of value for which [itex]dy/dx[/itex] and [itex](d^2)y/dx^2[/itex] are positive.


I can't figure out either of the sums. For the first one I got the answer -1/11 & -44/81 (even though the answer page showed 1/2 and 4/81) and the second I couldn't do. Can anyone do them step by step?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the first derivative of ##y=\frac{x^2}{x-2}##

ehild
 
Aichuk said:
y=(x^2)-4x/(x-2)^2

How did you get
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \frac{x^2}{x-2} = x^2 - \frac{4x}{(x-1)^2} ?[/tex]
This is obviously wrong.
 
Aichuk said:
1) The line 2x+9=3 meets curve xy+y+2=0 at the points P and Q. Calculate the gradient of the curve at P and Q
Do you mean "2x+ 9y= 3"? What are P and Q?

2)Given that [itex]y=(x^2)/(x-2)[/itex], find
a) [itex](d^2)y/dx^2[/itex] in its simplest form
b)ther range of value for which [itex]dy/dx[/itex] and [itex](d^2)y/dx^2[/itex] are positive.


I can't figure out either of the sums. For the first one I got the answer -1/11 & -44/81 (even though the answer page showed 1/2 and 4/81) and the second I couldn't do. Can anyone do them step by step?
As Ray Vickson pointed out, you have written the first derivative incorrectly- although you may have calculated it correctly. You have the parentheses in the wrong place and you have the denominator wrong.
 
Sorry for that, I suck at typing equations on computer.
 
Aichuk said:
No, i got [itex]y= \frac{x^2-4x}{(x-2)^2}[/itex]
Did you mean ##\frac{dy}{dx}##?ehild