Is the Method Used to Solve for a and b in this Calculus Problem Valid?

• Thread starter samtouchdown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
Thank you for sharing your solution. In summary, the problem solution presented has been widely debated for its validity. While it gives the correct answer, many argue that it is invalid due to non-sense statements and a lack of understanding of limits. Two possible solutions for determining the values of a and b are using l'Hospital's Rule and Taylor/Binomial series. In both cases, it was determined that a = 4 and b = 4.
samtouchdown
This problem's solution has been widely debated for its validity. Though it gives the correct answer, many argue that it is invalid. Please give comments on why this method works and if it is valid or not. If possible, please provide your own solution. The problem is in the attachment.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-12-26 at 2.23.28 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-12-26 at 2.23.28 PM.png
    12 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if a limit takes on the indeterminate form 0/0, it can take on any value. In actuality, one could also solve for the limit using l'Hospital's Rule.

Differentiating the top and bottom leaves us with this statement: [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax + b}}}{1} = 1[/tex], which is the same as: [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{a}{2\sqrt{ax + b}} = 1[/tex].

Now, if we plug in [itex]x = 0[/itex], we get: [itex]a = 2\sqrt{b}[/itex]. If we square both sides, we get [itex]a^{2}=4b[/itex]. If we plug this back into the original equation (without using l'Hospital's Rule), we will find that [itex]a = 4[/itex]. Then, using the above statement, it follows that [itex]b = 4[/itex] also.

Last edited:
That OP made me pull out my hair. You can't do something like

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}{f(x)}=x[/tex]

x is a variable in the limit. It's a dummy variable. You can't just take it out and put it on the other side. Doing that shows a fundamental lack of understanding limits! Please don't ever do that! :cry:

micromass said:
That OP made me pull out my hair. You can't do something like

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}{f(x)}=x[/tex]

x is a variable in the limit. It's a dummy variable. You can't just take it out and put it on the other side. Doing that shows a fundamental lack of understanding limits! Please don't ever do that! :cry:

I agree. The only way to solve this problem was either by (a) splitting the limit into a quotient with the top being its own limit and bottom being its own limit and then multiplying by [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}(x)[/tex] on both sides, or (b) using l'Hospital's Rule as I mentioned above. Good insight.

Last edited:
Chirag B said:
splitting the limit into a quotient with the top being its own limit and bottom being its own limit and then multiplying by [itex]lim_{x→0}(x)[/itex] on both sides

No, you can't do that. That would yield a 0/0 situation which is not allowed. Splitting the limit into a quotient is not allowed here!

micromass said:
No, you can't do that. That would yield a 0/0 situation which is not allowed. Splitting the limit into a quotient is not allowed here!

Ah, well then I was wrong. But as far as I know, l'Hospital's Rule still applies. You were angry at the poster's making the mistake of taking the variable [itex]x[/itex] outside of the limit, I presume?

Chirag B said:
Ah, well then I was wrong. But as far as I know, l'Hospital's Rule still applies. You were angry at the poster's making the mistake of taking the variable [itex]x[/itex] outside of the limit, I presume?

I wasn't angry :biggrin: just a bit disappointed.

Yes, L'Hopitals rule should apply.

micromass said:
I wasn't angry :biggrin: just a bit disappointed.

Yes, L'Hopitals rule should apply.

Makes sense. :smile:

There is no need for L'Hopitals' Rule here! In fact, we have,
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{\sqrt{ax+b}-2}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{ax+b-4}{x(\sqrt{ax+b}+2)} = 1[/tex]
But since the denominator goes to 0, this forces the numerator to go to 0 if the limit is to exist. Therefore, limx→0ax+b-4 = 0, which forces b = 4. Then we have
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{ax}{x(\sqrt{ax+4}+2)} = \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{a}{\sqrt{ax+4}+2} = 1[/tex]
From here it is pretty obvious that this forces a = 4.

There are 2 obvious ways to do this: L'Hopital's (already shown) and Taylor series (my favourite).

[tex]\lim_{x -> 0} \frac{\sqrt{4x+4} - 2}{x} = 2\lim_{x -> 0} \frac{\sqrt{x+1} - 1}{x}

= 2\lim_{x -> 0} \frac{1 + \frac{x}{2} - 1}{x} = 1[/tex]

samtouchdown said:
This problem's solution has been widely debated for its validity. Though it gives the correct answer, many argue that it is invalid. Please give comments on why this method works and if it is valid or not. If possible, please provide your own solution. The problem is in the attachment.
micromass has already pointed out that it contains non-sense statements.

It's not particularly difficult to come up with a method which seems to work, when it contains statements that profoundly abuse accepted notation.

Curious3141 said:
There are 2 obvious ways to do this: L'Hopital's (already shown) and Taylor series (my favourite).

[tex]\lim_{x -> 0} \frac{\sqrt{4x+4} - 2}{x} = 2\lim_{x -> 0} \frac{\sqrt{x+1} - 1}{x}

= 2\lim_{x -> 0} \frac{1 + \frac{x}{2} - 1}{x} = 1[/tex]

Sorry, I had only taken a cursory reading of the problem earlier.

I understand that the requirement is to determine a and b. I think the determination of b was done correctly in the OP's solution. So b = 4.

The steps to determine a were done wrongly because in a limit, one cannot bring the x over to the RHS like that.

Instead of this, LH or Taylor/Binomial series are perfectly acceptable.

Sticking with the Taylor/Binomial approach:

[tex]LHS = \lim_{x -> 0} \frac{\sqrt{ax+4} - 2}{x}

= \lim_{x -> 0} \frac{2\sqrt{1+\frac{ax}{4}} - 2}{x}

= \lim_{x -> 0} \frac{2(1 + \frac{ax}{8}) - 2}{x}

= \frac{a}{4}[/tex]

Equating that to the RHS of 1,

[tex]a = 4[/tex]

Curious3141 said:
Sorry, I had only taken a cursory reading of the problem earlier.

I understand that the requirement is to determine a and b. I think the determination of b was done correctly in the OP's solution. So b = 4.

The steps to determine a were done wrongly because in a limit, one cannot bring the x over to the RHS like that.

Instead of this, LH or Taylor/Binomial series are perfectly acceptable.

Sticking with the Taylor/Binomial approach:

[tex]LHS = \lim_{x -> 0} \frac{\sqrt{ax+4} - 2}{x}

= \lim_{x -> 0} \frac{2\sqrt{1+\frac{ax}{4}} - 2}{x}

= \lim_{x -> 0} \frac{2(1 + \frac{ax}{8}) - 2}{x}

= \frac{a}{4}[/tex]

Equating that to the RHS of 1,

[tex]a = 4[/tex]

That's a nice way to do it...interesting!

1. What is a difficult calculus problem?

A difficult calculus problem is a mathematical equation or scenario that requires advanced knowledge and application of calculus concepts and principles to solve. It may involve multiple steps and complex calculations.

2. Why are calculus problems considered difficult?

Calculus problems are considered difficult because they require a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and extensive practice to master. They often involve abstract thinking and creative problem-solving skills.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving difficult calculus problems?

To improve your skills in solving difficult calculus problems, it is important to have a solid understanding of fundamental concepts and definitions, as well as regular practice with various types of problems. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any tips for approaching difficult calculus problems?

Some tips for approaching difficult calculus problems include breaking the problem down into smaller, manageable parts, drawing diagrams or graphs to visualize the problem, and identifying relevant equations or theorems to apply. It can also be helpful to work backwards from the desired solution and check your work at each step.

5. How can I overcome my fear of difficult calculus problems?

Overcoming fear of difficult calculus problems can be achieved by building a strong foundation in basic concepts and practicing regularly. It can also be helpful to approach problems with a positive attitude and break them down into smaller, achievable tasks. Seeking help from a tutor or discussing difficult problems with classmates can also boost confidence and reduce fear.