1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult integration by parts

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the following integral with partial integration:

[tex]\int\frac{1 - x}{(x^2 + 2x + 3)^2}dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess you need to write the integral in easier chunks but I still fail every time.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2
    Can you write this as partial fractions? or make use of the fact that the bottom can be factorised?

4. Aug 3, 2013 #3

verty

Homework Helper

I haven't tried this but letting u = 1/(x^2 + 2x + 3) may get you somewhere.

Sorry, I've checked this now and it doesn't work. Another angle of attack, probably not the best method though, is u = x + b/2a = x + 1.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  5. Aug 3, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Making the substitution I suggested (u = x + 1), one gets this:

##\int{\frac{2-u}{(2+u^2)^2}} du##

Then, one has a choice of substitutions (tan, cot, sinh). By inspection, sinh won't work. We then have denominator cosh^3, not nice. That leaves tan and cot although it seems tan is never a worse substitution than cot. I hold out hope but... use tan and...

Best of luck.

PS. Given the nature of this question, I can offer no further help. A difficult question is meant to be difficult.

6. Aug 3, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

With a quadratic that cannot be factored (using real numbers) in the denominator, the standard step is to complete the square: [itex]x^3+ 2x+ 3= x^2+ 2x+ 1+ 2= (x+ 1)^2+ 2[/itex] so you can write the integral as [tex]\int\frac{1- x}{((x+1)^2+ 2)^3}dx[/tex].

Now let t= x+ 1 so that dx= dt and 1- x= 2-(x+1)= 2- t. With that substitution, the integral becomes
    [tex]\int\frac{2- t}{(t^2+ 2)^2}dt= 2\int\frac{dt}{(t^2+ 2)^2}- \frac{t}{(t^2+ 2)^2}dt[/tex]
    For the first integral try [tex]t= \sqrt{2}tan(\theta)[/tex] and for the second, [tex]u= t^2+ 2[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  7. Aug 3, 2013 #6
    Another way to tackle the integral could be to somehow create the derivative of the base for the exponent in the denominator in the numerator. Then, you could use substitution.

8. Aug 3, 2013 #7

lurflurf

Homework Helper

^That is pretty much what they did
    $$\frac{1-x}{(x^2+2x+3)^2}=\frac{2-(x^2+2x+3)^\prime /2}{(x^2+2x+3)^2}$$
    then we need to split it into two parts otherwise we need to use complex numbers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted