Difficulty to find this integral

In summary, the conversation is regarding a calculus exercise involving finding the integral \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{5x+8}}dx. The person is trying to solve it using two different methods, u=5x+8 and u=\sqrt{5x+8}. However, there were some mistakes in the attempted solutions and corrections were provided by others in the conversation. The first method resulted in \frac{1}{5}\ln \sqrt{5x+8} which is incorrect, while the second method had a wrong "du" and the integral was incorrect. The conversation also includes discussions on integrating u^n \, du and proper typesetting of mathematical names in LaTeX.
DDarthVader
Hello! I'm doing some calculus exercises and I'm having some difficulty to find the right answer.

Homework Statement

The integral is [itex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{5x+8}}dx[/itex] and the exercise tell me to solve this by using (a) [itex]u=5x+8[/itex] and (b) [itex]u=\sqrt{5x+8}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt:
(a) Well, [itex]u=5x+8[/itex] then [itex]\frac{du}{dx}=5[/itex] which means [itex]dx=\frac{du}{5}[/itex]. Then my integral is now [itex]\int \frac{du}{5 \sqrt{u}} = \frac{1}{5}ln_{\sqrt{u}} = \frac{1}{5}ln_{\sqrt{5x+8}} = \frac{1}{5}ln_{5x}ln_{8}[/itex] Is this correct?

(b) Now [itex]u=\sqrt{5x+8}[/itex]. Then [itex]\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{5x+8}}[/itex] which means [itex]dx=2u[/itex] and now my integral is [itex]2 \int du = u^2 = 5x+8[/itex]. Is this correct?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) ##\int \frac{du}{5 \sqrt{u}}=\frac{1}{5}\int \frac{du}{ \sqrt{u}}=\frac{2\sqrt u}{5}+C##
I get the final result from the general formula (which is very helpful if you remember it): ##\int \frac{f'(x)}{\sqrt{f(x)}}\,dx=2\sqrt{f(x)}+C##

(b) ##\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{5x+8}}## is wrong.

sharks said:
(a) ##\int \frac{du}{5 \sqrt{u}}=\frac{1}{5}\int \frac{du}{ \sqrt{u}}=\frac{2\sqrt u}{5}+C##
I get the final result from the general formula (which is very helpful if you remember it): ##\int \frac{f'(x)}{\sqrt{f(x)}}\,dx=2\sqrt{f(x)}+C##

(b) ##\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{5x+8}}## is wrong.

Oh, I don't know this formula. Thanks!

About the (b), why is it wrong? This is what I did [itex]\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{d(\sqrt{5x+8})}{dx}\; \Rightarrow \frac{du}{dx}=((5x+8)^{1/2})' = \frac{1}{2}(5x+8)^{\frac{1}{2}-1}= \frac{1}{2}(5x+8)^{-\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{5x+8}}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{5x+8}}[/itex]

DDarthVader said:
Hello! I'm doing some calculus exercises and I'm having some difficulty to find the right answer.

Homework Statement

The integral is [itex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{5x+8}}dx[/itex] and the exercise tell me to solve this by using (a) [itex]u=5x+8[/itex] and (b) [itex]u=\sqrt{5x+8}[/itex]

Homework Equations

This is my attempt:

(a) Well, [itex]u=5x+8[/itex] then [itex]\frac{du}{dx}=5[/itex] which means [itex]dx=\frac{du}{5}[/itex]. Then my integral is now [itex]\int \frac{du}{5 \sqrt{u}} = \frac{1}{5}ln_{\sqrt{u}} = \frac{1}{5}ln_{\sqrt{5x+8}} = \frac{1}{5}ln_{5x}ln_{8}[/itex] Is this correct?
No. While [tex]\int \frac{dx}{x}=\ln(x)[/tex] you need to keep in mind that the integral only becomes a logarithm when the denominator is a linear equation in x (so of the form ax+b). We don't have that, instead you need to use the rule
[tex]\int x^n dx=\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex] where n=-1/2 in this case.

(b) Now [itex]u=\sqrt{5x+8}[/itex]. Then [itex]\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{5x+8}}[/itex]
You forgot about multiplying the expression by the derivative of 5x+8=5.
which means [itex]dx=2u[/itex]
It should be [itex]dx=2u\cdot du[/itex]

and now my integral is [itex]2 \int du = u^2 = 5x+8[/itex]. Is this correct?
Thanks!
[tex]\int du= u[/tex]

Mentallic said:
No. While [tex]\int \frac{dx}{x}=\ln(x)[/tex] you need to keep in mind that the integral only becomes a logarithm when the denominator is a linear equation in x (so of the form ax+b). We don't have that, instead you need to use the rule
[tex]\int x^n dx=\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex] where n=-1/2 in this case.

You forgot about multiplying the expression by the derivative of 5x+8=5.

It should be [itex]dx=2u\cdot du[/itex]

[tex]\int du= u[/tex]

Wow! Lots of stupid mistakes. Now I see what I did wrong! Thank you guys very much!

DDarthVader said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

This is my attempt:

(b) Now [itex]u=\sqrt{5x+8}[/itex]. Then [itex]\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{5x+8}}[/itex] which means [itex]dx=2u[/itex] and now my integral is [itex]2 \int du = u^2 = 5x+8[/itex]. Is this correct?
Thanks!

NO, NO, NO! Why would you ever think that [itex]\ln(5x+8) = \ln(5x) \ln(8)[/itex]? For that matter, what do you mean by the notation [itex]\ln_{\sqrt{u}}[/itex]? Did you mean to write
[itex] \ln \sqrt{u}[/itex] or [itex] \ln(\sqrt{u})[/itex]?

Anyway, your first approach, giving [tex]\frac{1}{5}\ln \sqrt{5x+8}[/tex] is wrong. The integral
[tex] \int \frac{du}{\sqrt{u}}[/tex] is of the form
[tex] \int u^n \, du, [/tex]
with [itex] n \neq -1,[/itex] so can be integrated without involving logarithms.

Your second approach is wrong: you have the wrong "du".

BTW: to get proper typesetting of math names like log, ln, sin, cos, exp, etc. in LaTeX, you need to enter them as commands, like this: \log, \ln, \sin, \cos, \exp, etc.

RGV

1. Why is this integral difficult to find?

There are many reasons why an integral may be difficult to find. Some common reasons include the integrand being a complicated function, the limits of integration being undefined, or the integral being a high-order or improper integral.

2. How do I know if an integral is difficult to find?

One way to determine if an integral is difficult to find is by looking at its integrand. If the function is complex or not easily integrable, it is likely that the integral will be difficult to find. Additionally, if the limits of integration are not well-defined or the integral involves special functions, it may also be challenging to find.

3. What techniques can I use to solve a difficult integral?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve difficult integrals. These include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. It is also important to have a good understanding of integration rules and properties.

4. Are there any resources available to help with finding difficult integrals?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with finding difficult integrals. These include online integral calculators, textbooks on integration and calculus, and various math forums and communities where you can ask for help or guidance.

5. Can I use numerical methods to approximate a difficult integral?

Yes, numerical methods can be used to approximate difficult integrals. These methods involve dividing the integration interval into smaller regions and using numerical techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to calculate the area under the curve. However, these methods may not always provide an exact solution and may require a large number of subdivisions for accuracy.