Difficulty understanding a circuits flow

In summary, this person is trying to learn about electronics and is having a hard time understanding circuits that don't have a start or an end. He is looking for books that will help him understand the basics of electronics.
jdmmade
Hello everyone, I am really new to electronics and have been reading Electronics for dummies, and am readying myself to move on to something a bit more sophisticated. Something that has been hard for me understanding is circuits that don't seem to have a start or an end. I do quickly understand the flow of a circuit if the battery is shown in the circuit and connected. For example, I cannot understand where this starts an ends, and why is configured the way it is. I plan to major in electronics, but I want to make sure I get the raw fundamentals of it, before I even attempt to make a simple sound amplifier. I would also like to ask. Where I could learn about multi meters and where I need to place probes, in order to find proper current, resistance through out a circuit, and voltage drops and what not?

Attachments

• motor-controller.gif
    motor-controller.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 497
Engineering news on Phys.org
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/opto%20coupler.PNG

The power supplies could be shown as above. They don't have to be batteries.
It is less messy to just show +12 V where it is apparent that the other end of the power supply is the negative side of the battery and is connected to the bottom grounded part of the circuit.
It is not something to get worried about.

The semicircle device at the bottom left is an integrated circuit and it could be one of many types.
The important thing to know is that the output is either 5 volts or zero volts relative to the negative side of the battery.
If it is 5 volts, no current flows in the LED part of the optocoupler. If it is zero volts, current does flow in the LED.

The circuit takes a low powered output from an integrated circuit, isolates it in an optocoupler and uses a transistor to switch a motor on or off. Pretty good trick.

We can talk about multimeters later if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
vk6kro said:
The power supplies could be shown as above. They don't have to be batteries.
It is less messy to just show +12 V where it is apparent that the other end of the power supply is the negative side of the battery and is connected to the bottom grounded part of the circuit.
It is not something to get worried about.

The semicircle device at the bottom left is an integrated circuit and it could be one of many types.
The important thing to know is that the output is either 5 volts or zero volts relative to the negative side of the battery.
If it is 5 volts, no current flows in the LED part of the optocoupler. If it is zero volts, current does flow in the LED.

The circuit takes a low powered output from an integrated circuit, isolates it in an optocoupler and uses a transistor to switch a motor on or off. Pretty good trick.

We can talk about multimeters later if you like.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your explanations, I am trying my hardest to begin designing and building my own analog synthesizers and such. This is a passion. I recently bought three other books that were higher rated then the average electronics learning books. Heres the list. "Getting Started in Electronics - Forrest M. Mims III", "Timer, Op Amp, and Optoelectronic Circuits & Projects - Forrest M. Mims III", and Electronic Formulas, Symbols & Circuits - Forrest M. Mims III". If you know of any books that are purchase worthy, please let me know.

1. What is the flow of a circuit?

The flow of a circuit refers to the path that electricity travels through the various components in a circuit, from the power source to the output. It is important to understand the flow of a circuit in order to troubleshoot problems and properly design and build circuits.

2. Why is it difficult to understand a circuit's flow?

There are several reasons why someone may have difficulty understanding a circuit's flow. It could be due to a lack of knowledge and experience with circuits, complex circuit designs, or faulty components. It is important to have a solid understanding of circuit principles and to carefully analyze and test circuits to determine their flow.

3. How can I improve my understanding of a circuit's flow?

One way to improve your understanding of a circuit's flow is to study and learn the basic principles of circuit design, including Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and basic circuit analysis techniques. Additionally, practicing with simple circuits and troubleshooting problems can help improve your understanding.

4. What are some common errors that affect a circuit's flow?

Some common errors that can affect a circuit's flow include using incorrect or faulty components, incorrect wiring or connections, and incorrect calculations or measurements. It is important to double-check all components and connections and to carefully analyze and test circuits to ensure proper flow.

5. How can I troubleshoot problems with a circuit's flow?

To troubleshoot problems with a circuit's flow, it is important to have a solid understanding of circuit principles and to carefully analyze and test the circuit. Some common troubleshooting techniques include checking for loose connections, testing components with a multimeter, and using circuit analysis techniques to identify and fix any issues.