1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction Grating problem

1. Apr 10, 2004 #1
    Question: A set of narrow vertical slits is located a distance D from a screen. The slits are equally spaced and have the same width. The intensity pattern in the figure is observed when light from a laser passes through the slits, illuminating them uniformly. The screen is perpendicular to the direction of the light.

Calculate the width of the slits, in micrometers.

You are given the following data: Distance to the screen = 2.77 meters; Wavelength of light = 0.420 micrometers; Distance between tick marks on the intensity figure = 1.60 cm (The figure has the generic diffraction grating light pattern, with tick marks occurring between each maxima)

Maxima occur at sin theta = m lambda / d (where m is the order, lambda is the wavelength of light, and d is the distance between slits)

first.. I find out what theta is.. i can find this by
    tan theta = (.016m)/(2.77m)
    tan theta = .0057761
    theta = .33095 degrees

plugging into the maxima formula,
    sin theta = m lambda / d
    sin (.33095) = 1 (.420x10^-6) / d
    d = 7.27x10^-5m = 72.7 micrometers

72.7 micrometers is incorrect. Anyone know where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2004 #2
    Any thoughts on this problem?

It seems so straight forward that I can't see where I may have gone wrong..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?