Diffraction Gratings: Calculating Wavelength for CD ROM

• Thread starter Sarah0001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary: So the total path difference is 2 d (cos α1 - cos α2) = m λThe incident light is at 55°, so we can write cos α1 = sin 35°. The reflected light is at 50°, so we can write cos α2 = sin 40°. So the path difference is 2 d (sin 35° - sin 40°) = m λThe path difference is also the wavelength, because that's how diffraction gratings work. So λ = 720 nm (sin 35° - sin 40°)The eye is also tilted 5°, so the angles in the diagram
Sarah0001
1. A white light shines vertically down on a horizontal CD ROM disc.
The disc is viewed by a teacher whose eye is a horizontal distance 0.50 m from the disc and 0.35 m vertically above its horizontal plane, Figure 1.2. A yellow light of wavelength 590 nm is observed due to first order diffraction.
2018-11-07 (1).png
Fig 1.2 Uploaded image
. (i) Deduce the spacing d between adjacent tracks of the CD ROM.
Answer: 720 nm,
angle subtended between incident and reflected ray is 55 degrees

2) relevant equations :
dd714d434379cac3e139d2e3f530834f0d90d64e

This below part is what I require help with.
(ii) The CD ROM is tilted, clockwise through an angle of 5 degrees . Determine the wavelength now observed.

3. My attempt at the solution :

wavelength = 720*10^-9 * sin 60

Worked solution: (uploaded)
upload_2018-11-7_22-18-26.png

I understand that the angle of incidence ray with mirror is now 95 degrees as opposed to 90,
so 95-55 = 40
so cos theta 1 = wavelength / d , theta 1 is 40, and thus sin theta 2 = wavelength / d , theta two must be 50 degrees by ( 180-90-40).
However I do not understand why 'sin5' is subtracted by sin 50 in the worked solutions, nor do I understand how cos ( 90 - 5) leads to sin (5), or cos(90 -x+5) = sin ( x -5) for that sake
Also fundamentally I cannot understand why the worked solutions initially finds the path difference to equal to (cosine A - Cosine B ) * slit separation (d)

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-7_22-18-26.png
    upload_2018-11-7_22-18-26.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 741
  • 2018-11-07 (1).png
    2018-11-07 (1).png
    25.2 KB · Views: 850
Physics news on Phys.org
Normally, the incident and reflected angles are measured off of a diffraction grating as measured from normal incidence. Then the equation for constructive interference reads ## m \lambda=d(\sin{\theta_i}+\sin{\theta_r}) ##. In this case, ## \theta_r ## will be ## 50^{\circ} ## to the viewing point. The ## \theta_i ## here gets a minus sign, so that ## \theta_i=-5^{\circ} ## because the incident angle is in the other quadrant. ## \\ ## (Alternatively, the equation can be written as ## m \lambda=d(\sin{\theta_i}-\sin{\theta_r}) ##, with a positive sign on ## \theta_i ##, but that gets confusing, because then ## m=-1 ## for this problem). ## \\ ## The equation for constructive interference for the diffraction grating with normal incidence, so that ## \theta_i=0 ## is often written as ## m \lambda=d \sin{\theta} ## where the only angle that gets computed is the angle ## \theta_r ## so it is shortened to ## \theta ##. The equation I presented is the more complete equation for constructive interference, where ## \theta_i ## can be any arbitrary angle. These angles are measured from the normal to the grating.

Last edited:
Likes Sarah0001
Sarah0001 said:
1. A white light shines vertically down on a horizontal CD ROM disc.
The disc is viewed by a teacher whose eye is a horizontal distance 0.50 m from the disc and 0.35 m vertically above its horizontal plane, Figure 1.2. A yellow light of wavelength 590 nm is observed due to first order diffraction.
View attachment 233616 Fig 1.2 Uploaded image
. (i) Deduce the spacing d between adjacent tracks of the CD ROM.
Answer: 720 nm,
angle subtended between incident and reflected ray is 55 degrees

2) relevant equations :
dd714d434379cac3e139d2e3f530834f0d90d64e

This below part is what I require help with.
(ii) The CD ROM is tilted, clockwise through an angle of 5 degrees . Determine the wavelength now observed.

3. My attempt at the solution :

wavelength = 720*10^-9 * sin 60

Worked solution: (uploaded)
View attachment 233615
I understand that the angle of incidence ray with mirror is now 95 degrees as opposed to 90,
so 95-55 = 40
so cos theta 1 = wavelength / d , theta 1 is 40, and thus sin theta 2 = wavelength / d , theta two must be 50 degrees by ( 180-90-40).
However I do not understand why 'sin5' is subtracted by sin 50 in the worked solutions, nor do I understand how cos ( 90 - 5) leads to sin (5), or cos(90 -x+5) = sin ( x -5) for that sake
Also fundamentally I cannot understand why the worked solutions initially finds the path difference to equal to (cosine A - Cosine B ) * slit separation (d)
It will help to create some labels.
Call the light source point L, the eye E, the points where the rays hit the disc C (left) and D.
The diagram shows a perpendicular dropped from DE to CE. Call this point A. Likewise, a horizontal from point C meets LD at a point I'll call B.
The paths from L to the disc are LC and LD. These differ in length by BD = d cos α2. The paths from the disc to the eye are CE and DE. These differ in length by CA = d cos α1.

Likes Sarah0001
haruspex said:
It will help to create some labels.
Call the light source point L, the eye E, the points where the rays hit the disc C (left) and D.
The diagram shows a perpendicular dropped from DE to CE. Call this point A. Likewise, a horizontal from point C meets LD at a point I'll call B.
The paths from L to the disc are LC and LD. These differ in length by BD = d cos α2. The paths from the disc to the eye are CE and DE. These differ in length by CA = d cos α1.
A perpendicular dropped from DE to CE??

Sarah0001 said:
A perpendicular dropped from DE to CE??
Sorry, I meant from D to CE.

Likes Sarah0001
Charles Link said:
Normally, the incident and reflected angles are measured off of a diffraction grating as measured from normal incidence. Then the equation for constructive interference reads ## m \lambda=d(\sin{\theta_i}+\sin{\theta_r}) ##. In this case, ## \theta_r ## will be ## 50^{\circ} ## to the viewing point. The ## \theta_i ## here gets a minus sign, so that ## \theta_i=-5^{\circ} ## because the incident angle is in the other quadrant.

What is the convention for determining whether the diffracted angles or incidence angles are negative or positive relative to the normal incidence of the surface?

Sarah0001 said:
What is the convention for determining whether the diffracted angles or incidence angles are negative or positive relative to the normal incidence of the surface?
The incident angle ## \theta_i ## can always be chosen as positive. You then compute the path distance difference for the rays. If it scatters back into the same quadrant as the incident angle, the path distance difference will read ##\Delta=d(\sin{\theta_i}+\sin{\theta_r}) ## with ## \theta_r ## as positive. If we want to use this same equation (with "+" sign between the two terms), and the scattering is into the opposite quadrant, (I'm considering reflection type grating here), then ## \theta_r ## will be negative.

1. How do diffraction gratings work?

Diffraction gratings are optical devices that use a series of closely spaced parallel lines to separate light into its component wavelengths. When light passes through the grating, it is diffracted into different directions depending on its wavelength, creating a rainbow-like pattern.

2. What is the equation for calculating wavelength using a diffraction grating?

The equation for calculating wavelength using a diffraction grating is λ = d sin(θ), where λ is the wavelength of light, d is the spacing between the lines on the grating, and θ is the angle of diffraction.

3. Can diffraction gratings be used to measure the wavelength of any type of light?

Diffraction gratings can be used to measure the wavelength of any type of light that is within the visible spectrum (400-700 nanometers). They can also be used to measure the wavelength of some types of non-visible light, such as infrared and ultraviolet.

4. What is the relationship between the number of lines on a diffraction grating and the resolution of the spectrum?

The number of lines on a diffraction grating is directly proportional to the resolution of the spectrum. This means that the more lines there are on the grating, the more accurately the wavelengths of light can be separated and measured.

5. How are diffraction gratings used in CD-ROMs?

In CD-ROMs, diffraction gratings are used to read the data stored on the disc. The data is encoded as a series of pits and lands on the surface of the disc, which are then read by a laser beam passing through a diffraction grating. The diffraction pattern created by the grating is then converted into binary code, allowing the data to be read and retrieved by the computer.