Diffusion, concentration profile

In summary, the conversation discussed the diffusion equation and the appropriate boundary conditions to use for the concentration profile of a system. It was suggested that setting n(z0)=0 may not accurately reflect the fact that atoms are instantaneously taken out of the system at z=z0. It was also pointed out that there can still be a current even if the density is zero, as the current is proportional to the density gradient. A more realistic model was proposed where the current is proportional to the density and very large as soon as the density is non-zero. This model would result in a limit of n=0 as the removal of the substance becomes faster.
aaaa202
I'm right now working with modelling a system, where atoms diffuse along a coordinate z until they reach a certain point z=z0 at which they are taken out of the system. The diffusion equation is:

∂n/∂t = D∂2n/∂z2

The question is now what boundary conditions to use for the concentration profile n(z) of the system. I want to take n(z0)=0 since for me this would reflect the fact that atoms are taken instantaneously out of the system, when they diffuse to this point. But my intuition also tells me that there can be no flux of atoms out of the system at z=z0 if the concentration at this point is zero.
Does anyone have anything that can enlighten me on this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
But my intuition also tells me that there can be no flux of atoms out of the system at z=z0 if the concentration at this point is zero.

This is a common misconception among students who start encountering the diffusion (or heat) equation. The current is not proportional to the density, it is proportional to the density gradient. Therefore, there can be a current even if the density is zero.

As a more realistic model than the substance being taken out directly, you can consider the case when the current is proportional to the density and very large as soon as the density is non-zero, i.e.,
$$
j/D = -\partial_z n = \alpha n,
$$
where ##\alpha## is a large number. Dividing by ##\alpha## gives ##n = - \alpha^{-1} \partial_z n##, for which you recover the limit ##n = 0## when ##\alpha \to \infty##, i.e., as you get really really fast at removing the substance.

What is diffusion?

Diffusion is the process by which particles in a substance move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This movement is driven by thermal energy and results in a more even distribution of particles throughout the substance.

How does diffusion create concentration profiles?

As particles diffuse from areas of high concentration to low concentration, they create a concentration gradient or profile. This profile shows how the concentration of particles changes over distance, with the highest concentration at the source and the lowest concentration at the destination.

What factors affect the rate of diffusion?

The rate of diffusion is affected by several factors, including temperature, molecular weight, and the medium through which the particles are diffusing. Higher temperatures, smaller molecules, and less viscous mediums tend to result in faster diffusion rates.

How is diffusion important in biological systems?

Diffusion plays a crucial role in biological systems, as it is responsible for the transport of essential molecules such as oxygen and nutrients across cell membranes. It also helps to maintain homeostasis by ensuring a balance of particles within cells and tissues.

How is diffusion different from osmosis?

Diffusion and osmosis are both processes by which particles move from an area of high concentration to low concentration. However, osmosis specifically refers to the movement of water molecules across a selectively permeable membrane, while diffusion can occur in any medium.