Digital control: Z transform

In summary: I'll try to do it in a more legible way next time)The correct answer of (1/z9)x((z10+1)/z-1)is that it is the same, the only difference is the order in which you do the operations.
jami8337

Homework Statement

The Plots bellow show two discrete time signals, in the plots only the initial proportion is shown. Then the signals remain constant and equal to the last value shown. Derive the Z transform of each Signal.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

The attempt at a solution
I can get part A, giving an answer of (z9+z8+z7+z6+z5+z4+z3+z2+z+1)/z9

I apply the same concept to the second image but I am getting lost and not getting near the correct answer of (1/z9)x((z10+1)/z-1)

Im very new to digital control, so I've potentially missed a key detail out of the question, so if i have let me know!

Any tips about how to go about this would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You may not have covered this yet but have you gotten to the point where you are using the transform tables?

Can you think of a way to build the signals as a combinations of other easier signals?

It helps if you can start to think of ways to approach these questions which may not be immediately clear.
On one midterm we were asked to find the convolution of 2 square pulses. Most people ended up taking 2 pages of math to get there, where a few of us used the answer from the previous question (what is the fourter xform of the square wave) and got to the answer in about 3 lines :D

Capture.PNG

You mean that table above ^^?

I have but i am struggling to apply it to this scenario and I have found little in the way of help from online notes

jami8337 said:

Homework Statement

The Plots bellow show two discrete time signals, in the plots only the initial proportion is shown. Then the signals remain constant and equal to the last value shown. Derive the Z transform of each Signal.
View attachment 81701 View attachment 81702

The attempt at a solution
I can get part A, giving an answer of (z9+z8+z7+z6+z5+z4+z3+z2+z+1)/z9

I apply the same concept to the second image but I am getting lost and not getting near the correct answer of (1/z9)x((z10+1)/z-1)

Im very new to digital control, so I've potentially missed a key detail out of the question, so if i have let me know!

Any tips about how to go about this would be greatly appreciated

They both look like step responses to me...

donpacino said:
They both look like step responses to me...

So can you solve the question using the known step transform result, and the "addition" property? (will need the delayed unit step though)

cpscdave said:
So can you solve the question using the known step transform result, and the "addition" property? (will need the delayed unit step though)
yes, but I'm not going to do the problem for him

Likes cpscdave
donpacino said:
yes, but I'm not going to do the problem for him

Haha I'm dum and I failed to notice that you weren't him :D

haha, it happens...

I am curious
jami8337 said:
the correct answer of (1/z9)x((z10+1)/z-1)

why do you say this is the correct answer?

Ok thanks, i'll give that a go now and let you know how it goes!

I know that's the answer as it is a question off a pass paper that our lecturer gave us along with a markscheme

Ok I am literally getting nowhere with this, any other pointers?

jami8337 said:
If you just forget the Z-transform for a bit, try to imagine how you can "build" the sequences shown in your graphs as the sum of a unit step u[n] and a time-shifted unit step u[n - m].

If you can do that, then the rest is just a matter of checking the Z-transform tables you've already been given.

jami8337 said:

Are you sure its (1/z^9)x((z^10+1)/z-1) and not (1/z^9)x((z^10-1)/z-1)

I get to the Z^10 - 1 answer 2 different ways.
I'll describe the process and let you do the maths (I'd suggest doing it both ways for practice)

First way: You have a series of dirac's shifted. So using the dirac z Transform 1 and the shift property you end up getting 1+z^-1...+z^-9 (where you were in the first post)
From there you use the geometric summation formula and rearrange ending up (unless I made a maths error) with (1/z^9)x((z^10-1)/z-1)

Second way you as Miles said notice that the series is a combination of 2 step functions (which ones though?)

then you use the transform for the unit step, shift property and linearity property and you'll end up with X[z] = A + B rearrange and you'll end up at the same result (sorry I suck at latex lol)

cpscdave said:
Are you sure its (1/z^9)x((z^10+1)/z-1) and not (1/z^9)x((z^10-1)/z-1)
Are you looking at (a) or (b)? It's correct for (b).

milesyoung said:
Are you looking at (a) or (b)? It's correct for (b).

attention to detail has never been my strong point... I was looking at (a) =D

Ok thanks for that, I am starting to get there now i managed to get the answer you go of (1/z^9)x((z^10-1)/z-1) for part A, however its the fact that the step goes up to 2, in part B that's throwing me, here's what I have done so far, am I on the right track? (Its a picture as it takes me forever to type in the equations :P )
Capture.PNG

I remember having issues with the infinite sums like what you're trying to do in part 2.

Can question 2 be put in terms as a linear combination of 2 other functions?

If you can get used to using the known transforms and properties early it'll make your like a lot easier in the long run :)

one thing to note, I assumed that before time(0) the signal was not zero, so both a and b are comprised of a single step

cpscdave said:
Can question 2 be put in terms as a linear combination of 2 other functions?

What do you mean?

Are there 2 simple functions that you can add together to get the function in the question? (Hint both functions will be the same, one will just be shifted)

Ok I think I may have done it, how does this look:

function of initial line calculation:
Capture1.PNG

Then function of the second line:
Capture2.PNG

then the addition of the two to give a final answer:
Capture3.PNG

Is my working correct here? Or have i just fluked my way to the right answer haha

jami8337 said:
Is my working correct here?
Seems fine, although your notation is a bit odd in places, e.g. ##\mathcal{Z}\{u[n]\}## is for the Z-transform of u[n].

There's an easier (in my opinion) way to go about it, though. How would the sequence u[n] + u[n - 10] look, and how would you find its Z-transform using tables?

What is the Z-transform and why is it important in digital control?

The Z-transform is a mathematical tool used in digital control to convert discrete-time signals into complex frequency domain representations. It is important because it allows for analysis and design of digital control systems using techniques similar to those used in continuous-time systems.

What is the difference between the Z-transform and the Laplace transform?

The Z-transform is used for discrete-time signals, while the Laplace transform is used for continuous-time signals. Additionally, the Z-transform has a finite region of convergence, while the Laplace transform has an infinite region of convergence.

How is the Z-transform used in the design of digital control systems?

The Z-transform can be used to analyze the stability, performance, and robustness of a digital control system. It is also used to design controllers and compensators to meet desired specifications.

What is the inverse Z-transform and how is it calculated?

The inverse Z-transform is used to convert a complex frequency domain representation back into a discrete-time signal. It is calculated using techniques such as partial fraction expansion or contour integration.

What are some limitations of using the Z-transform in digital control?

Some limitations of the Z-transform include the assumption of linearity and time-invariance, which may not hold in real-world systems. It also requires the system to be represented in discrete-time, which may not always be possible. Additionally, the use of the Z-transform may lead to approximation errors due to discretization of the continuous-time system.