Dimension of the electric charge in CGS and in SI?

In summary, the Bohr magneton has different dimensions in SI and CGS units, but represents the same physical quantity. This is also true for the magnetic field, which has a conversion factor of 10,000 between SI and CGS units. The dimension of the permittivity in SI is not equivalent to any dimension in CGS, so conversions between the two systems must be done carefully.
mbond
The Bohr magneton is (see e.g. Wikipedia) in SI units:
$$\mu_B=\frac{e\hbar}{2m_e}$$
and in CGS units:
$$\mu_B=\frac{e\hbar}{2m_ec}$$
So the dimension of the electric charge in SI, ##[q_{SI}]##, is related to the dimension of the electric charge in CGS, ##[q_{CGS}]##, by:
$$[q_{CGS}]=[q_{SI}].velocity$$
Now, the electrostatic force between two charges ##q_1## and ##q_2## separated by a distance ##r## is in SI:
$$F=\frac{q_1q_2}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2}$$
and in CGS:
$$F=\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}$$
So the dimension of the permitivity, ##[\epsilon_0]##, is given by:
$$[\epsilon_0]=\frac{[q_{SI}]^2}{[q_{CGS}]^2}=velocity^{-2}$$
which is not true.
So I guess I make a mistake somewhere, and I would be grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The dimension of charge in electrostatic cgs units is ##M^{1/2} L^{3/2} T^{-1}##. The dimension of charge in SI is ##Q##. They do not have compatible dimensions so you have to be careful in conversions.

mbond said:
So the dimension of the permitivity, [ϵ0][ϵ0][\epsilon_0], is given by:
##\epsilon_0## doesn’t even exist in cgs, so this approach is fundamentally mistaken. The vacuum permittivity is a defined constant in SI. You obtain its dimensionality in SI through its definition, not through comparison with other unit systems where it doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
Thanks Dale.

Actually, I think I can answer my own post:
The Bohr magneton does not have the same dimension in SI and in CGS, although this is, of course, the same physical quantity in both system.

One has the same "paradox" with the magnetic field: ##B_{CGS}=\sqrt{\frac{4\pi}{\mu_0}}B_{SI}## with ##\mu_0## in ##N/A^2##. So when one says 1 tesla=10,000 gauss, the 10,000 is not a "pure" number, it has a physical dimension.

##\sqrt{4\pi\over\mu_0}\ ## is ##\ 10^{3.5} \ ## ( in ##C\;kg^{-{1\over 2}} m^{-{1\over 2}}\ ## ? ) so I am confuzzed o_O ?

1. What is the dimension of electric charge in CGS?

In CGS (centimeter-gram-second) system, the dimension of electric charge is expressed as cm3/2 g1/2 s-1. This means that electric charge has units of square root of centimeter cubed, times gram to the power of half, divided by second.

2. What is the dimension of electric charge in SI?

In SI (International System of Units), the dimension of electric charge is expressed as A s or C (coulomb). This means that electric charge has units of ampere times second or coulomb.

3. How is electric charge measured in CGS and SI?

In CGS, electric charge is measured in units of statcoulomb (statC) or franklin (Fr). In SI, electric charge is measured in units of coulomb (C). 1 statC is equivalent to approximately 3.3356 x 10-10 C and 1 Fr is equivalent to approximately 3.3356 x 10-10 C.

4. How does the dimension of electric charge affect other physical quantities?

The dimension of electric charge is an important factor in determining the dimensions of other physical quantities. For example, the dimension of electric current is expressed as cm3/2 g1/2 s-2 in CGS and A in SI, which shows the relationship between electric charge and electric current.

5. Can the dimension of electric charge be converted between CGS and SI?

Yes, the dimension of electric charge can be converted between CGS and SI systems. However, it is important to note that the numerical value of the charge may differ due to the different unit systems. For example, 1 statC is equivalent to approximately 3.3356 x 10-10 C in SI.