Current Across Diode for DC Sources: 0.86mA

In summary, Homework Equations state that the current across a diode is 0.86mA when the voltage across it is 20V.
nathanxx6969

Homework Statement

:Find the current that go across the diode ans=0.86mA[/B]
zvZG2.png

Homework Equations

V=IR

3. The Attempt at a Solution
The Vt(v total) is 30v
so,must i ignore the diode as off first?.In that case the current is 30/20=1.5 mA.
i also know the that diode is foward bias because 20v>10V
i know that the voltage drop for this diode is 0.7
(20-0.7)/10=1.93,this step is correct.
but i really need help for this qn
mods pls don't delete.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(20-0.7)/10=1.93,this step is correct.
That is the current for the 20V source. Also determine the current for the 10V source.

NascentOxygen said:
That is the current for the 20V source. Also determine the current for the 10V source.

hey but how can i just split the circuit into two?? lol, isist that weird?? like i used to learn that i should find the current and so on...

You have made the assumption that the diode is conducting...which means you are saying its cathode must be at a potential of -0.7V.

So with this assumption, you can then determine the current in each resistor.

http://imgur.com/l40uOZ2
http://imgur.com/l40uOZ2
the red arrow shows the current flow from the 10v source.No current from the 10V pass am I right??

What does Ohm's Law tell you for the resistor on the left, given your assumption that the diode's cathode is being held at -0.7V?

hey that's is the part i don't understand.. i really don't :(

nathanxx6969 said:
hey that's is the part i don't understand.. i really don't :(
You have a resistor, you know how many ohms, and you also know the voltage at either end of it ...

but shouldn't it be like (30-0.7 )/20?

nathanxx, why don't you make things simpler for yourself? ... If you are studying diode circuits you very likely have already covered Thevenin equivalents. If you consider the diode as the load of the network, what would be the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit that is driving that load?

upload_2016-5-2_15-58-30.png

nathanxx6969 said:
but shouldn't it be like (30-0.7 )/20?
The current in each resistor will be what Ohm's Law says it is. [emoji102]

⏩ From their difference you can deduce how much current must be going through the diode.

1. What is a diode?

A diode is a two-terminal electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of electricity.

2. How does a diode work?

A diode works by having a P-N junction, which is a boundary between two differently doped regions of a semiconductor material. When a voltage is applied to the diode in the forward direction, current can flow through the diode. However, when the voltage is applied in the reverse direction, the diode acts as an insulator and prevents current from flowing.

3. What is the current across a diode for DC sources of 0.86mA?

The current across a diode for DC sources of 0.86mA means that the diode is allowing 0.86mA of current to flow in the forward direction. This value can be controlled by the voltage applied to the diode and the characteristics of the diode itself.

4. Why is the current across a diode important?

The current across a diode is important because it determines the amount of current that can flow through a circuit. It also helps to prevent damage to electronic components by controlling the flow of electricity. In addition, the current across a diode is used to calculate the power dissipation and voltage drop across the diode.

5. What are some applications of diodes?

Diodes have a wide range of applications, including rectification of AC to DC current, voltage regulation, signal demodulation, and protection of electronic circuits from reverse current. They are also commonly used in power supplies, battery charging circuits, and LED lighting systems.